My first Cigar pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I have turned quite a few diffrent pen kits. But never a Cigar pen. I think the cigar pen kit is now my favorite. The blank was pecan. I started with a big log and cut it up with a chain saw then the table saw. I got quite a few nice blanks and a really nice pen. Thanks for looking, and if you see any way I could improve it please let me know.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looks great to me too. I really like the cigar style as it has a larger diameter that allows more wood to be shown of, and it's not too expensive of a kit.
Dave:)

Rob

New User
Rob
Looks great, Cigars are my favorite to do, though I haven't done one in a while.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll have to echo what DaveO said about cigar pen kits. They have a large enough body that you can be cretative with the contours of the pen and yet you can still show off the character of the wood. Nice job. I haven't seen any pecan wood around. Where did you get the material?

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I got the wood from my mom. They cut down a tree where she works and she brought a good size piece home with her. I took it home and cut it up. It is some really nice wood. some of it has some nice figure.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
That is some nice wood. Looks like a nice fit as well.
Hard to find pecan in the mountains. The pieces I had were hard but turned and finished great.
I like cigars as well. They are a fuller feeling pen that I enjoy using. I like the double action - a plus to some "lefties" I know. They give you the chance to leave enough wood to appreciate the grain and character.
Unless you mix up bushings (who me????) they're a fairly straight forward kit to make. They won't fit in my uniform shirt so I still carry a European round top.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
Yeah I noticed they dont fit in a shirt pocket. I didnt realize they were that much longer untill I got this one done.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Very nice, I can't wait to turn a pen.

So what do you mean when you talk about Cigar pen kit? The hardware? Wheres a good place to get kits?

Thanks for sharing it Beautiful,

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
Yeah the hardware comes in kits. (slimline, euro, cigar, ect.) You can find them all over the internet but the best thing to do is go to Klingspore or what ever is close to you and get what you need to start out. ask alot of questions. or you can always ask us questions we will always help.
Very nice, I can't wait to turn a pen.

So what do you mean when you talk about Cigar pen kit? The hardware? Wheres a good place to get kits?

Thanks for sharing it Beautiful,

Skye

New User
Skye
Cigars are normally the second kit people go to, after the slimline. It's one we usually 'grow out of' but I still think it's one of the better feeling, more comfortable pen kits.

I think you did a good job putting the darker area at the finial end. I think that always helps to even out the lower and bottom halves.

What did you finish it with?

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
What did you finish it with?

I used a CA finish with a friction polish.

Very nice Pecan Cigar Pen,

BTW, what did you do with the larger pecan pieces?

Matt

I have a 3 larger pieces (I think around 12" x 12") I put them up for sell on here one time with no luck (been a while back). If I dont use them in a couple of months I will put them ebay, unless someone on here is interested in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS