My displays for show - today 9/30 in Carrboro

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
Re: My displays for show

Andy,
Sorry to hear the show was a bust, but hopefully you made some good contacts and learned a few things that will help for the next show. Remember, it is a learning experience!
Gonzalo

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

I am not beating myself up about it. If I had people really looking, picking them up, playing and deciding against them then I would feel bad. That's not at all what happened. I felt more like I was a living history display that people appreciated but not enough to develop an interest in playing.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Shows of this nature a a real crap shoot. Craft or Art Shows are much better venues then "community festivals". Been there. Tried that. Don't be down even good shows can be bad. The weather was nice and since your daughter enjoyed herself it is worth the price.

Keep an eye on Craigslist under events. Christmas is coming and events during Nov and Dec equal $$$. School and Church fairs/shows are normally well attended bu buyers and most have low entry fees. Btw here is one listing on CL
http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/eve/3300587553.html

I have never done this show but it is the kind of thing to watch out for.

Do post some booth pics.

CarvedTones

Andy

Yeah, I look at the listings there. I will upload some shots soon. One of the potters (there were 2) told me "This is a mug show. I bring some nice big bowls and pitchers with artwork that people ooh and ahh over, but mostly I sell mugs." The trouble is, I have no "mug equivalent". Everything I had with me was a tuned playable instrument that I wasn't going to give away too cheaply.

CarvedTones

Andy

ok, here are some pics...

Me at my table:
HPIM3620.jpg

A close up of the sign and display flutes. I say "display" because those are two that are different from the others and were for starting conversations about larger flutes. The 2 "real" flute players both played the large walnut flute and it sounded really good, but would want different hole spacing (no surprise; I was already planning to make the next D differently). I will also start making them more ornate.
HPIM3621.jpg

The vendor area, shortly before things really started:
HPIM3622.jpg

My lovely assistant. The lady in the next booth offered her a free face painting before the show because kids who aren't old enough to read the sign know what it means when another kid has a painted face. :)
HPIM3623.jpg

Giving my stock a more critical eye, there are a few I need to finish better and some of the whistles need better plugs as they don't play as easily as others. But that was not a problem there. The "first string" is in good shape. But I will make those improvements before I try again

SubGuy

New User
Zach

Keep going at it. You inspire us to make our own products and one day be so proud to sell them. I hope one day to be able to sell something other than a contract job. Thanks friend! Thanks for the inspiration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS