Must be a trick to using a bowl scraper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
Was turning a bowl, I glued some scrap walnut and birch together, was going great, started smoothing the inside with a bowl scrapper, kept catching, finally tore the bowl out. (Was 1/4" thick wall, so not too thin). Wondering, if I used the right glue, yellow wood glue, and maybe got too aggressive with the scraper.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When it gets that thin I start using sandpaper, but I'm sure there are better turners than me who can answer your question. Only thing I will ask is how sharp was the scraper?

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Rob,
how far was the scraper hanging over the tool support as it was cutting the wood?Also,where was the tool support height set in relation to what you were cutting?Could have been a good old snag and a weak glue joint working together.Hope that helps.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Rob,

I use a bowl scraper a good bit. A couple of things to consider... I raise the tool support to centerline. Present the cutter edge to the surface at the centerline. Based on the thickness of the tool, it should have a downward angle as you make your cut. Some folks suggest actually cutting a negative rake angle on the top of the scraper. Also, if you are sharpening the tool on a grinder, remove the bur, as it will make the tool cut aggressively. Anyway... that's what works for me. Good luck. :icon_thum

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Everyone has giving you good advice. I would like to repeat how important it is to not over hang a scraper to far over the rest. Using a curved bowl rest can help with this. The one other thing is to try and avoid using a wide scraper in the inside corner of the bowl. If to much of the cutting surface comes into contact at once it will cause a catch. Use a small scrapper to clean up the bottom corner of the inside of the bowl can reduce your chances of getting a catch. What I'm saying is if both sides of the scraper come into contact at the same time you will get a catch. Catches when using a wide scraper can be as bad as they get.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS