Morse taper Jacobs chuck slips in tailstock

Status
Not open for further replies.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Ok, so everyday I learn something new...usually by watching something go slightly wrong. This time it is the Morse taper Jacobs chuck slipping in the tailstock when I use it to drill out the center of a hollow form prior to turning the inside. The slipping is where the taper fits inside the tailstock, not where the arbor meets the chuck. Light pressure = no problem, medium pressure = slippage. I can retard/delay the slippage by grabbing and holding the chuck tight, but eventually my grip will give way to the physics of the lathe. I slow the lathe way down to way less than 100 rpm.
Is this slippage part of the technique, am I just advancing the tailstock too fast?
Suggestions please.:dontknow:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I'd lower the speed of the lathe, and use light pressure. Make sure the inside of the taper and the taper are both clean (wipe with a paper towel and DNA for instance). It is a light friction fit calling for sort of a finesse operation.
Also make sure your bit is sharp. Amazing the difference even after a few pieces just a little honing can make.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Thanks for the reply...sounds like I am just a little impatient, and to the point, my bits are probably not the best. So I will tune up my technique, clean out the tailstock, sharpen the bits, ease off a little. It is comforting to know that once again patience and attention to details will pay off.
Thanks again.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It may also help to give the taper a light sanding with some 400 or 600 grit wet or dry. It will increase the friction fit between the tailstock and the taper adapter. The DNA is to degrease it.

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
I'd try lapping the tapers together. Working the tapers together with compound should work the high spots out and allow the taper lock up properly.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Now that I look closely at the taper, I do see some marring which might keep it from seating firmly in the tailstock...I suppose by compound, you mean the abrasive rubbing compound?

Thanks

T

toolferone

Do other tapers fit fine? Your chuck taper might be off a little. Also check the length. I once had to grind a taper a little shorter, because it bottomed out before it was fully seated.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
You can also use the chuck key to stop the slipping, put the long end in the hole on the chuck and allow it to ride on the tool rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS