Minor tool gloat and question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I bought the HF 34706 Lathe on sale last week. With the 20% coupon, I was able to nab it for only 159.99:eusa_danc:eusa_dancAlso got the Red Handled Chisel set:eusa_danc. I don't know if this was the last one (referred to by twodognc in another thread) :eusa_pray!
My question is, I want to get a chuck for it, but can't figure out the size I need. Is the threaded headstock PIPE THREADS? My gague(NOT pipe threads) goes up to 10TPI but none of them fit the threads on this lathe. Anyone with this one know the Diameter and TPI I need for a chuck? Also any recommendations on chucks for a beginning pen/bowlturner, WITHOUT breaking my very small piggy bank:lol:?
Thanks for looking and hopefully, answering:rolf:.

HF34706Lathe.jpg

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Randy,

I was trying at the HF in Raleigh for the last two weeks. DaveO should check in soon , if not PM him because he has that lathe and a Oneway Talon chuck on it, so he could probably help you out.

Jimmy:)

ps. Congratulations on the lathe and by the way You Suck!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Jimmy,
I bought this one at the Raleigh store on Friday 10/5, the first day of their parking lot sale. That's why I made the reference to your post. I hope I didn't get the last one:).
Take care,

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Randy the headstock threads are 1" x 8TPI which is pretty standard. I recommend the Barracuda 2 chuck kit from PSI for a good low cost set up that will get you just about all you need - http://www.pennstateind.com/store/csc3000c.html
You also can get your pen mandrel and other supplies from them too..the chuck won't do you much good for pen turning

Dave:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jimmy,
I bought this one at the Raleigh store on Friday 10/5, the first day of their parking lot sale. That's why I made the reference to your post. I hope I didn't get the last one:).
Take care,

Randy,

By Saturday they were gone.

Jimmy:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks for the help, everyone:eusa_clap. I love this site!

George, I may take you up on your offer. I go by Oxford a couple of times each week, headed to Durham/Chapel Hill for work. I tried the Woodturningz site you referenced but couldn't find any chucks. Do they sell them?

DaveO, Thanks for your recommendation and info on the threads. I'm curious why you said the Barracuda 2 wouldn't help with Pen turning??? Will I need a different chuck for pens or can I add the required jaws to the Barracuda??? My ignorance of pen turning is hanging out all over the place:crybaby2:.

Jimmy, I hope I didn't steal the last one out from under your nose! With a name like twodognc you should be able to sniff out another one soon:lol:. Good luck,

gator

George
Corporate Member
Thanks for the help, everyone:eusa_clap. I love this site!

George, I may take you up on your offer. I go by Oxford a couple of times each week, headed to Durham/Chapel Hill for work. I tried the Woodturningz site you referenced but couldn't find any chucks. Do they sell them?

Woodturningz sells the entire Penn State catalog. Anything in the catalog can be had from Woodturningz at a discounted price. You don't use a chuck to turn pens, just a mandrel and bushings. If/when you stop by I can show you. Just give my cell a buzz 919-482-1085. Any day is good except Monday or Tuesday.

George

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks George,
I have tried the Woodturningz website and can't find any chucks listed. It looks like they only have pen turning supplies. Do you have a link or can you tell me how to find the chucks (PSI) on their site?
Thanks again for your kind offer.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Thanks George,
I have tried the Woodturningz website and can't find any chucks listed. It looks like they only have pen turning supplies. Do you have a link or can you tell me how to find the chucks (PSI) on their site?
Thanks again for your kind offer.

There is nothing on their website that shows. Just find the item(s) on the Penn State site or in the Penn State catalog and use that number when you call them. If you have any questions about the item, they can answer them.

George

edspec

New User
steve
Nice lathe. I started on that model with a PSI Utility Grip chuck. But if I could spare the extra money the Baracuda2 system does come with a nice selection of jaws and the one hand jaw tigtening key makes it much easier to align the piece in the chuck.

The red handled tool set is the better of the three that I have found at HF. The middle priced set is great for practice at sharpening and making special scrappers for bowls ,hollow form work, beading, and captive ring tools etc. but the handles seem to come loose easily.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS