Mini or Midi Lathe - Best Bang for the Buck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I'm looking in to purchasing a mini or midi lathe with new or used as long as it's in good working order. Can anyone help with recommending the best lathe for the money, under $500 preferably $200-$300? Jet, Delta, Ricon, etc... What are a few things to look at when buying used?
Thanks,

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Kevin, a recent issue of FWW magazine had a comparison of midi lathe's. They ranked the Delta 46-460 as the Editors choice ($600.00 street price), and the Penn State Industries Turncrafter Pro as the Best Value ($430 + shipping).

Both of these are 1 hp models.

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
I have a Jet Mini and have been very happy with it. I did get the extension bed for longer turnings. Only negative I have is that I wish I had went with Varible Speed. For just a little over $500, you can find the Jet VS. You might give that some consideration.

Duane

jglord

New User
John
When considering a variable speed lathe, you should consider the speed range available on each pully position. The Delta has three pulleys and a 1 hp. Motor. On the center pulley, the speed range is something like 400 – 1800 i.e. one could do most turning with no belt change and if a belt change is needed, they have a really slick mechanism for quickly releasing the tension and resetting it to the original tension.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Kevin, a recent issue of FWW magazine had a comparison of midi lathe's. They ranked the Delta 46-460 as the Editors choice ($600.00 street price), and the Penn State Industries Turncrafter Pro as the Best Value ($430 + shipping).

Both of these are 1 hp models.

+1 on the 46-460 :icon_thum I bought one about a year ago and I am totally satisfied with the heft and quality of the machine as well as the features and ease of use. Far superior to the equally priced Jet IMHO . Whatever you decide, choose a VS , you won't regret it

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thank you all for the input. I appreciate the feedback and guidance. I bought the used Delta from another NCWW, super nice person. It's not VS, but just getting back started in turning and woodworking. Will probably upgrade when I have the funds and I can catch one on sale.

Anyone want to stop by and teach an old dog new tricks to turning pens?

Bryan S

Bryan
Cool, your timing was great. I saw that last night and wanted to contact them but, we have had too many unplanned expenses the last few weeks and did not. Enjoy we are waiting pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS