Mega Bench & Storage Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
A while back I completed my main woodworking bench but still needed to do something about my utility workbench and small tool and parts storage. The following pictures show what I started with which was a solid core door (complete with bow :gar-La;) on some sawhorses and several dozen plastic shoeboxes taking up valuable shelf space all over the shop:

The bench was constructed from laminated 2x4's. Due to it's length it took some creative clamping solutions while fastening it together with bolts and lags. Not having any 9 foot bar clamps I used the longest ones I had in conjunction with handscrew clamps, angle iron and Bessey clamps.

The top of the bench was constructed from solid core door sections fastened together with pocket screws and edge glued. Once again some creative clamping was utilized.:widea:

The bench top had oak edging applied, lagged to the frame and coated with marine poly. It was then wrestled into it's home on the side of the shop.

Underneath the bench I constructed two banks of 9 drawers each which are in SPF web frames and have oak drawer runners. Unfortunately I neglected to take pictures of the frame construction but they are fastened together with glue and pocket screws holding the 1.5" x1.5" frame pieces together. The drawer box components were ripped/crosscut from 8' presfinished MDF shelving which the BORG had on closeout for $1 each !! :eusa_danc The drawers were rabbeted and glued together with the rabbets cut using a molding head on the TS and the runner grooves done on the router table. The drawer bottoms are metric plywood about 1/8" thick.

Here are the stacks of completed drawer boxes with the runner grooves visible.

Each of the drawers has a removable divider down the center resting in grooves so that they can be divided.

I could not get a good picture of the entire bench without moving my main bench (it weighs a ton) so instead I took several "half pictures". The face frame is recycled heart pine from gym bleacher seats. The drawer false fronts are dyed cherry and the handles are nickel finished steel pulls which were a "special purchase" deal at the BORG for 30 cents each. :eusa_danc

Visible in this picture on the wall is two small parts cabinets which I hung on the wall and have done much to eliminate boxes of fasteners etc. scattered all over the shop. I still have a ways to go with filling up drawers, labeling and organizing but this is a good start. :wsmile: Thanks for looking :wwink:
Finished Dimensions: 34" wide , 115" long, 37 1/2" tall . The drawers are 12" wide x 15" deep x 4.5" high (18 total)

Last edited:
T

toolferone

It all looks great and you got some great deals on the pieces. The only thing I am worried about is the 1/8" ply bottom. I am a big fan of closed drawer and door cabinets in the shop. It looks very organized even if the insides are a mess and it is easier to keep the dust down.

Nice going.

I have about 8 sheets of 1/2" x 4' x 8' plywood I got for free I am going to use to build several shop cabinets. Thanks for helping motivate me.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pretty work, Glenn. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I need to add some storage around my workbench area. Thanks for the inspiration.

Chuck

Glennbear

Glenn
It all looks great and you got some great deals on the pieces. The only thing I am worried about is the 1/8" ply bottom. I am a big fan of closed drawer and door cabinets in the shop. It looks very organized even if the insides are a mess and it is easier to keep the dust down.

Nice going.

I have about 8 sheets of 1/2" x 4' x 8' plywood I got for free I am going to use to build several shop cabinets. Thanks for helping motivate me.

Thanks Tom, I too was hesitant about using the thin ply but when I assembled my first test box since I did not have to worry about movement in the MDF or ply I glued all 4 edges into grooves I cut on the router table using a FREUD router (shameless plug from a happy user :gar-La;). When the glue cured I loaded the drawer with cast iron pipe fittings which are the heaviest thing they will hold and there was 0 % deflection. :wsmile:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice Glenn, I'm jealous of all that storage space. My "big bench" is still nothing more than a hallucination :) Looks terrific!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
whatcha gonna do with all dem draws glen? :gar-La; Nice lookin bench.:icon_thum:icon_thum Looks to nice to work on....:wink_smil

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Really nice looking bench there, Glenn!:icon_cheers

But...............if you have something in all of those drawers, ya know you have too much stuff!:gar-La;

Oh to be that organized!:cool::cool:

That top really looks nice.

Wayne

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
looks great! its a very satisfying feeling getting a big chunk of your shop squared away like that.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great job, Glenn. That is an awesome looking bench. Should last for many, many years.

I'm sure you got your neighbor to help move that monster into place, right??? :slap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS