MC Escher - Man in the Reflecting Sphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

CohibaCris

New User
Cris Rogers
This is an oldie (for me) that I took to the 07 Carving show; but I failed to post it because I'm a dork. Given that mikel called me out on it, I figured I had to share before I permanently earned the dork title. It's a Basswood block that's 16x20x 8/4 (if memory serves).
Woodcarving_Festival_-_92a_small.jpg

View image in gallery
Thanks for looking!
CohibaCris

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Very cool indeed bro, thanks for sharing. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

How long did that take you? Power, hand, or both?

Brian.

CohibaCris

New User
Cris Rogers
Well I didn't want to scare anyone, so original it was!
Trying to visualize how to pull that drawing up from the 2d to 3d was tough, but I think it turned out OK...

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
VERY nice work Cris! :notworthy:

We have one of MC Esher's pictures in our house. Truely impressive art and a great carving! :icon_thum

CohibaCris

New User
Cris Rogers
Very cool indeed bro, thanks for sharing. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

How long did that take you? Power, hand, or both?

Brian.

Well, this is one of those things that sounds worse that is was:
It was all done by hand because I am a fool/masochist (or b/c I was scared I'll ruin something) and it took on the order of 350-400 hrs. Those were probably half due to recarving the details over and over - there are no freakish Escher carvings to go off of, so it was all gut feel and Paul Rolfe (teacher/mentor) shaking his head in that all-too disapproving way...
Still, it was a TON of fun, and if I had the chance I'd sell it just to do another.

Thanks for all your comments - they are gracious and I'm grateful

dkeller_nc

New User
David
Cris - Curious, I saw this in a completed-carving state, but never got a chance to ask what you finished it with (laquer? nothing?).

David

CohibaCris

New User
Cris Rogers
Cris - Curious, I saw this in a completed-carving state, but never got a chance to ask what you finished it with (laquer? nothing?).

David

Hey there, David; it was a Deft lacquer thinned 50% brush coat followed by 2 spray coats. The Basswood was quite thirsty. I elected for the can after realizing I would never get into all those nooks and crannies with a brush (short of dipping it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS