MBF 5/4 Black Walnut for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Ok, as per Jeff let's try for Sunday the 14th at the parking lot for Harbor Freight.

Jeff, please name the time that works well for you. I'll suggest either late morning or early afternoon so that those farther away have time to travel up and back home during daylight. But please let us know what you can do.

For those who can not make it on the 14th, please try to make plans to have someone pickup your wood on your behalf.

If you worse comes to worse and you can not get your wood, please let me know and we'll offer it to other forum members that have given on this thread an interest to participate.

As always.. watch this space... more info to follow!

/Turtlewood

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I, for one, would rather NOT have to deal with 16 footers. 8' is quite long enough for me. I don't know if the rest of y'all want them that long, or whether we need someone with a well-charged skilsaw and extra batteries to halve 'em up.

If nobody has one, maybe we could buy a rechargo at HF {Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices}, cut the planks, and then return the saw.

That's a thought.

Jim

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Don't know if I can make it (would love to come out and meet a few more NCWW'ers; depends on the time for the meeting) but I have a Ryobi 18v 5 1/2" circ saw and eight batts I can charge up and have ready if I can't make it and someone wants to come by and get it. I am only 1/2 mile east of Capital on Spring Forest Rd and Fox Rd. About 2 miles or so north of Harbor Freight.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Evening all,
Wow, what a deal...Seems like I was asleep at the wheel, again..(or maybe time to go to the tri-focals...) :BangHead: ...totally missed this one...Anyhow, I could go for 50bd ft., if anyone changes their mind. If not, always another time..By the by, I have 3/4ton, 8' bd truck, if anyone needs assistance getting wood from point a to b....HF is approx. 20-25 minutes from our place...
Best to all,

Tony ...

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Oh, I forgot to add something else. I have a 5x10, 3500# capacity trailer that can be used if anyone needs it. Let me know.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I just realized how really dangerous this trip could be. If we are meeting in HF parking lot, which is known to be in the immediate vicinity of the Woodworking Shop, and only 15-20 minutes from WC. I will be leaving my checkbook and credit cards at home:rolf:

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
All,

Here is the latest list for the group buy:

200 bf: Turtlewood (confirmed for Jan 14th)
200 bf: fernhollowman (confirmed for Jan 14th) with 100 bf deferred to mkepke
100 bf: Tarhead
100 bf: NCPete (confirmed for Jan 14th)
100 bf: michaelgarner
100 bf: rherrell
100 bf: Mike Davis
100 bf: Pete M
50 bf: hpm67
====
1050 bf at the moment

hpm67, please let me know if you can make it and I will try my best to fit you in. Jeff mentioned that there was a hair more than 1000bf anyways.

I'll keep the list at the bottom of my future replies on the group buy.

I've listed "(confirmed for Jan 14th)" for those who have responded to the thread after Jeff proposed that we try for this date.

Others on the list please do the same. Sorry for asking for multiple confirmations, but I think that it's best to do this everytime something changes/updates just to make sure that everyone is in the loop. Also, I think it's best to use the open forum (instead of PMs) to keep everyone on the same page so that there are no possible disagreements.

As to the length issue, we should be able to cut down any of the longer boards that folks don't want to take as is. I've got a cordless circ. saw with 2 batt. and others can bring some as well.

I'm not sure how we'll do the breakdowns of the pile for the group buy, but hopefully we'll be able to allow a fairly even distribution of the widths.

Jeff, as Mark mentioned is there a teaser photo you can post for us?

Thanks!
/Turtlewood

J

jeff...

All,

====
1050 bf at the moment

hpm67, please let me know if you can make it and I will try my best to fit you in. Jeff mentioned that there was a hair more than 1000bf anyways.

I've listed "(confirmed for Jan 14th)" for those who have responded to the thread after Jeff proposed that we try for this date.

Others on the list please do the same. Sorry for asking for multiple confirmations, but I think that it's best to do this everytime something changes/updates just to make sure that everyone is in the loop. Also, I think it's best to use the open forum (instead of PMs) to keep everyone on the same page so that there are no possible disagreements.

As to the length issue, we should be able to cut down any of the longer boards that folks don't want to take as is. I've got a cordless circ. saw with 2 batt. and others can bring some as well.

I'm not sure how we'll do the breakdowns of the pile for the group buy, but hopefully we'll be able to allow a fairly even distribution of the widths.

Thanks!
/Turtlewood

I'm sorry i don't have a photo, it's a big banded bunk of black walnut. As for sawing boards to length, do you think we might draw a little attention to ourselves if I brought a chainsaw? I don't know how well that would go over in the HF parking lot. I think the cordless circ. saw is a much better idea. But on the other hand a chain saw would be funner :-D.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
If only you were closer to Charlotte. :lol:
Mike, we might could work something out where you take the trailer back with your walnut on it and bring it back with you when you come up to the Winter Gathering, as I plan to be there. PM me and let's discuss.

rherrell

New User
Rick Herrell
January 14 works for me.

Mike,
I'll be happy to pick it up. You can pay me whenever you come and get it.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I'll be there with my truck and handy-dandy bed extender. Hopefully Mike (hpm67) and/or Pete (PeteM) will be able to join me.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I'll be there with my truck and handy-dandy bed extender. Hopefully Mike (hpm67) and/or Pete (PeteM) will be able to join me.

Rick and Jerry thank you very much for the offers. Since Mark is closest to me I will coordinate with him. When are we doing this?

MikeH

New User
Mike
All,

====
1050 bf at the moment

Thanks!
/Turtlewood

I'll be coordinating with Tarhead to get my portion. :icon_thum

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
FWIW, black walnut weighs 58 pounds/bf when green, and 40 pounds/bf when air dried. This may help you determine how much carriage capacity and how many mules you need to transport your stash.

Second, if you have a moisture meter, that would be a handy thing to stick in the glove compartment to see how far along this bounty is. If nobody has one, there's always this: Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Third, I have called the nearby Harris Teeter and ordered a large hors d'oeuvre and canape tray, with shrimp, ham, roast beef, various cheeses and other finger type foods. However, they wanted a credit card number to secure the order. If someone will PM me with their credit card number (be sure to include exp. date and the magic numbers on the back), I'll volunteer to pick up the canape tray and bring it to the parting out party.

And finally...

Why, unless you were siding a house, would you even want log-length lumber? When I buy 8' lengths, my first step after unloading is to snip off the ends and crosscut to working lengths. If you're one of the "I want 16'" cohort, I'm serious in my question. How in the world do you joint it? Plane it? Sheesh, it would take 35' to joint or plane.

And finally finally. No pics, didn't happen.

Jim

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
on the 16' thing when cutting shorter lenths you will almost always come out with less scrap than when cutting up shorter lenths

wish i had the funds and room in the shop for some of the walnut, but i am willing to pick up any left over snacks.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
FWIW, black walnut weighs 58 pounds/bf when green, and 40 pounds/bf when air dried. This may help you determine how much carriage capacity and how many mules you need to transport your stash.

Jim

Jim, it looks like your densitiy numbers are per CUBIC foot! Should divide by 12 for bd ft. Looks like roughly 3.3 (AD) to 4.8 (green) lbs/bd ft. :)

Chuck

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Ruh Roh...

Chuck, you da' man and I blew it.

Looks like maybe sled dogs instead of mules may be in order, except where you gonna find a sled dog in North Carolina in the January 72° weather. I was looking forward to seeing some longears... it's been a while and that may be because I haven't been to Benson lately.

Is that why my nice cherry board doesn't weigh 100 pounds?

Sometimes it feels like it, though.

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
All,

Here it the latest round up on the Black Walnut Group buy:

100 bf: fernhollowman (confirmed for Jan 14th)
100 bf: Tarhead (confirmed for Jan 14th)
100 bf: michaelgarner (confirmed for Jan 14th)
100 bf: rherrell (confirmed for Jan 14th)
100 bf: Mike Davis (confirmed for Jan 14th with rherrel picking up)
50 bf: hpm67 (confirmed for Jan 14th with Tarhead picking up)
100 bf: deferred by fernhollowman to mkepke

Please let me know if any of the above info is incorrect.

As of today I've not received confirmation from Pete M or mkepke. Please post that you will be able to attend on Jan 14th. I will send PMs to each as well.

If they are not confirmed by mid week, I guess we'll move down the list to others that asked to join in.

I will send Jeff a PM with my phone # and to get Jeff's as well so that we can get in touch in case something happens driving down to HF on Sunday.

For those who want to contact me on the day of the group buy, my cell phone # is 919 434 5513.

Also, I'm not sure what the plan will be if someone on the confirmed list fails to show up on the day of the group buy. I don't want to leave wood on Jeff's trailer. :-D

Any ideas as to how to account for someone who doesn't show the day of? Hopefully the rest of us can pick up any slack on the fly if this happens. I'm hoping it doesn't but want to plan for what might happen.

Thanks,
/Turtlewood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am sure a few of us scavengers will show up for the opportunity to meet some of you fine folks and any scraps that you can toss our way. So if somebody doesn't show up I am sure that someone could hold their wood or take it off their hands ;-)

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS