MBF 5/4 Black Walnut for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Not mine, nor was it sawed by me. Local sawyer has 1000 BF of Black Walnut for sale. Actually there is more than 1000 BF but he said call it a 1000. I looked at it today, rough cut, widths range from 6" to 12", Random length 8' - 16'. Was sawn for a cabinet maker about 6 months ago, he never came by to pick it up and telephone / cell phone has been disconnected. It looks to be some pretty nice stuff...

If you interested please respond to this thread, this a good chance to grab a nice pile of BW at a decent price. It's not mine, but I told him I would see if anyone were interested in it. Asking price is $1.50 a BF or $1500.00.

Thanks

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I don't have a truck. If someone can help with delivery I'll take 10% also.

pete

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Pete, I just realized how big my truck isn't, considering carrying 200bf (mine and MG's) back to Hope Mills. time to get a flatbed trailer, I think :)

MikeH

New User
Mike
I don't have a truck. If someone can help with delivery I'll take 10% also.

pete

I don't have a truck either but, I am in for 5% if someone can deliver to Charlotte (or at least part way). Pete and I can maybe rent a U-Haul for a couple hours if we need to. :eusa_danc

Last edited:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Depending on how much Turtlewood wants we're almost there! I can get ~500bf of this back to Concord. If you have or want to rent a longbed trailer I can bring a lot (~4000lbs) of it.

J

jeff...

I just talked with Ted, since it looks like you guys will end up making a group purchase. I think what we'll do is load the 1000 BF on my trailer and bring to Raleigh somewhere so it's closer for you guys to pick up. Ted, his brother Randy and father Winston run a family owned and operated saw mill & logging business, their real good people. They have 2 mill's and are looking to add a 3rd. They all work Mon-Sat, so about the only time I could pull Ted away would be on a Sunday. I'd like to bring Ted with, so you guys will get a chance to meet him and pay him directly, it's his lumber.

Let me know when you get enough folks for a group purchase and we'll make arrangements for pickup somewhere in Raleigh on a Sunday.

Thanks

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Hey Guys!

Wow... looks like this is gonna work out. I was looking at picking up 200 bf (20%).

I also had a pm right after my post last night from someone who expressed an interest in picking up 200 bf as well. I've asked them to post on this thread as well.

Thanks to Jeff for offering to collect the wood and haul it down to Raleigh. That will make things a lot easier as I wasn't sure how to pull this off. I don't want to speak for the others (but it is in the spirit of a group buy), but I think that a kickback (bad term to use on a woodworking forum :cry:) of a few boards and some gas money should come your way from the group.

So from those that have spoken on the thread and the one pm that I got, here is the unofficial list in order of posting:

200 bf: Turtlewood
200 bf: Person who PM'd me late last night (ask to post to the thread to confirm)
100 bf: Tarhead
100 bf: NCPete
100 bf: michaelgarner
100 bf: rherrell
100 bf: Mike Davis
100 bf: Pete M
50 bf: hpm67
====
1050 bf at the moment

So if all belly up it appears that as of now, by time posted, that we have a full 1000 bf at Pete M. Please let me know if I've made a mistake.

So those that are on the list, please confirm that you are committed to buying now that it appears that this is going to happen.

Group buys can get tricky so let's all hope it goes smoothly. From what Jeff says there is probably more than 1000 bf, but as things happen when you divide up a stack 8+ ways, there can and will be some errors you may end up with a certain +/- amount. Hopefully it's not more than a 5% swing. Given that this is a private group buy and the price is good, all should be fine, but I wanted to make note of it now. :)

More to follow... (especially as we work out a Sunday that works, but the sooner the better)

/Turtlewood

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
If somebody drops out, I'd be interested in anywhere from 50-200 bf (whatever's available in that range in other words).

Any chance of some pix ?

-Mark

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I'm the PM'er, who offered to jump in for 20%. Since there's interest, I'll throw in for ONLY 10% and that leaves some for MKEPKE.

After a great shop visit with Gator yesterday, I spent the morning with Jeff... quartersawing red oak on the WM. What fun. Wife says I need one. After the visit with Gator, and seeing his craftsmanship on pens, she says I need a lathe. What's a guy to do? HINT-- take wifey with you on the explorations.

Last edited:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey I'm in if there is any left.
I can handle 200 bf
and also could handle 200 bf of oak.
I have cash on hand and a trailer.
Please someone let me know, I can drive from Fayetteville to Raliegh in an Hour.
I am available anytime. SO anyone needing to piggy back on the load for the trip just let me know.

Someone please let me know something, thanks

MAC

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
As usual I'm late to the party!! I already spent 400 bucks at Wall Lumber today. :-( Well, actually it's a :-D

I locked myself off the forum last night and couldn't get in to post. My internet provider was bought out and I changed my email address in my profile. Problem was I never could get the email from ncwoodworker to confirm so I was dead in the water. :eusa_doh: I checked again this AM and it came in...was time stamped for the time I made the change. My ISP apparently hosed me!!

Probably best I didn't get in...my shop is full. I need to finish a few projects to clear space in the wood rack.

Great find, Jeff! Enjoy it guys!! (suckage reserved for confirmed delivery with PICS!!! :lol: :lol:

Chuck

rherrell

New User
Rick Herrell
I'm definitely in. Hey Mike, since we live so close together how about riding together or you can pick it up at my place? I have a short bed pickup that can haul 12' boards but not 16'. If we need to I can get a box van from work that can haul 16'.
Rick

J

jeff...

If it's OK with you guys let's try and do this next Sunday. Say somewhere off Capital (US 1) around by Harbor Freight? That's pretty close to the belt line and should be pretty convenient for most folks to find. I'll drop my trailer off at Ted's Saturday and he'll load the bunk on the trailer. I swing by Sunday morning, pickup Ted and the trailer and we'll head off to Raleigh. I really want you guys to meet Ted, He's got quite a saw mill business here in Northern Granville county. He's not so big as to ignore smaller custom orders, but not to small as to not be able to fill them, plus he's good people.

I'm glad there is interest in 5/4 black walnut - I had my doubts when he talked to me about it. I guess because it's more uncommon than 4/4. But for what it's worth, 5/4 rough sawn is my preference.

Looks like Turtlewood is the coordinator so let me know if this is ok for you.

BTW - no need for gas money or anything like that. This is a great group of folks, I'm just glad to help out, that's payment enough.

Thanks

dozer

Mike
I don't need any of the wood but I would like to come by just to meet everyone and it's not that far of a ride from my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS