Mary's Shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Today my son was over and we moseyed out to the shop to work on my solar kiln. BUT, his Mom, LOML, had asked me to build her a simple (for some of you) set of shelves for her basement bathroom.

Well, I had some scrap white oak boards that were long enough, so we made them from that. Please forgive this picture (I didn't realize that with no back in the shelves all my junk on the wall would show so prominently)

I made some trim by just ripping off some 1/4" pieces of the board edge. In the pic, everything is just in clamps to see how it will look. Plan to finish it with Golden Oak stain and maybe some poly for a top coat. Thanks for looking.

T

toolferone

Looking good so far. Please show us pics of the finished shelve.

Please if only my shop looked that neat!!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Looking good so far. Please show us pics of the finished shelve.

Please if only my shop looked that neat!!

Tom, if there's one thing I've learned, it's WHAT to frame in a photo! You should see that shop! I can hardly walk in parts of it. But, I'm blessed to have it.

dozer

Mike
Looks good Reggie, and don't feel bad my shop looks like a bomb went off in it :radioact:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Looking good Reggie. How are the shelves joined to the sides??

Dave:)

We dado'd them into the risers about half thickness. Plan to glue them and attach them with 6d finish nail set well into the wood. Fill the holes with some wood putty, sand and apply the finish. Sound about right? :eusa_thin

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You would be fine with just glue and no nails. But if you feel like shooting something until the glue dries try it Nahm-style. He toenails from inside the case 18 ga. ¾" pin nails right where the shelf enters the dado. You'll have no filling to do with that method. I have never liked using wood filler with anything but a painted finish. I have not found any filler that will take a stain or clear finish like the wood.
MTCW,
Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
The shelves are looking good:eusa_clap
And the shop is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO clean and well organized:goofy:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looking good! A golden stain should bring out all that pretty wood stuff.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, I had some scrap white oak boards that were long enough, so we made them from that.
Boards that big are SCRAP to you? What do you build, sailboats? :lol:
Nice job. :icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
"I didn't realize that with no back in the shelves all my junk on the wall would show so prominently"

:widea: Being a helpful sort, Reggie, for $10 I will drive down there and take that junk off your wall.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
"I didn't realize that with no back in the shelves all my junk on the wall would show so prominently"

Being a helpful sort, Reggie, for $10 I will drive down there and take that junk off your wall.

:biggrin:Tom: Thanking you for your generous offer, but I must decline. I believe that a small piece of MDF will be cheaper, but thanks again!

Dennis, those boards are 6" and they are board ends from Bob's Table, (see my gallery) that were left over. They are knotty, stained, warped, etc and require some real "grading" to find 24 to 30 inches of straight lumb er.

Thanks to all of you for your nice comments, but there will be NO pics of the joint, etc, especially close-ups!

But I learn with every small project. One of these days my goal is to be "Rasmussen Good!" Don't know if I'll live that long!! :notworthy:

sawduster

New User
Robert
Man it would take me a week just to figure out how to do that :roll:
Prolly another week and several feet of lumber ( allowing for oopsies ) to actually build it :lol:
Good job man :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS