Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Re: Marking Gauge Workshop

Here are the pieces I came home with (had to leave early):
IMG_1893.sized.jpg
The oak one had some nasty checks in it so I filled with transtint colored epoxy:
IMG_1894.sized.jpgIMG_1905.sized.jpgIMG_1906.sized.jpg

Next I routed 1/8" square off of the corners of the beam:
IMG_1896.sized.jpg

And used the beam to mark the groove to remove from the head:
IMG_1897.sized.jpg
IMG_1898.sized.jpgIMG_1899.sized.jpgIMG_1900.sized.jpgIMG_1901.sized.jpg

Next I drilled the hole in the head. I used a center punch and the shaft to accurately mark the location:
IMG_1902.sized.jpg

An egg beater drill works great for countersinks:
IMG_1904.sized.jpg

I threaded the hole as recommended by Mike and used a CA adhesive to set the screw.
And the final product (bradford pear and crazy oak scrap from Scott Smith):
IMG_1938.sized.jpgIMG_1939.sized.jpgIMG_1940.sized.jpgIMG_1941.sized.jpg

In operation they work very smoothly and lock down tight. The design is also very aesthetically pleasing and the shape fits the hand naturally. The only thing I would do differently is the blade. It is too long and flimsy and can deflect and follow the grain when you need it to cut straight. I will be replacing them with jig saw blades ground down.

Thanks again for the workshop Mike and Bill! And thanks for the design work Mike!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

They both look great, Salem. I agree about the blade, I bought some tool steel to make blades but the hardening process seems very involved to me. I may try some jig saw blades as well.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy

Anything special about the process of taking an old jigsaw blade and re-purposing it for a cuttting gauge? Just shape it with a bench grinder?

eyekode

New User
Salem

Anything special about the process of taking an old jigsaw blade and re-purposing it for a cuttting gauge? Just shape it with a bench grinder?

Not an expert here but I have done it with both a grinder and a belt sander. The belt sander is much faster!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

Bill,

Haven't really had a chance to try them out yet. But I'm about to start on a blanket chest and may very well get the opportunity with that project.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Nothing special at all. I use a grinder, although I'm sure a sander would work just as well, as Salem said. Just grind the teeth off, then shape the end for cutting. I've made a couple of cutting gauges using jigsaw blades. If you don't have any old blades, let me know and I'll bring some to the next lunch. I'm too cheap to throw them away. :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors