Marking Gauge Workshop February 1st 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, let's see how much interest there is in a marking gauge workshop.

I will supply a drawn plan, all the raw materials, you bring a piece of your favorite exotic hardwood 3/4 x 2 x 10 inches or larger. This can also be a panel gauge just as well, that can be 24 inches or so.
I'll also have some tiger maple on hand in case you can't find any wood you like.

I think $25 is a fair price for this workshop. If Bill is open we can do it at his shop, otherwise it will be at my place in Walnut Cove.

One of the things I bought today is a 3/16 router bit, I'll go ahead and build a jig to cut the slots, I'll make it adjustable for the length from 4 to 24 inch.

If anyone wants just the plan and hardware kit, it's still $25.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Re: Marking Gauge Workshop

It depends on a couple factors, how complete do you want to leave with, how many jigs I can get built, how far I take the kits, how many take the class. I had 10 hours in my first gauge, but I was trying to make 4 at one time. I finally just quit on three and finished the one.

i think 6-8 hours for a group to complete one each if some operations are ganged. Final epoxy assembly has to cure a couple hours with 2-ton or 30 minutes with quick set. Then some cleanup and buffing. All that could be finished at your shop.

It will go faster if everyone uses the same table saw settings, so parts are interchangeable and all fit the jigs without resetting.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

As long as I don't have other commitments going on that day (e.g. Outreach sessions), the shop is available for this workshop.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

I'd like to join you once you nail down the date. I'm committed to Charlie's workshop on Feb 22 and the Firemen on Jan 18, but free any other Saturday. Will bring a nice piece of Mahogany to make a panel gauge.

Thanks

Firemen are not the 18th - that's the youth outreach. Now I've forgotten when the fireman outreach is.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Looks like we have a workshop.

How does Feb 8 sound? Is there any conflict with that Saturday?

If I can get some prepays I will order raw materials, cut to rough lengths and tap the screw hole for the blade.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy

Feb 8th works for me. I can also prepay. I can pay you at the next Greensboro lunch or any other way that you can take payment that is convenient for you (paypal, check in mail, etc.)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

At the lunch is great, I just need time to get the materials and do some prep work so we can complete the gauges in the workshop.

eyekode

New User
Salem

Sorry I can't do that date :(. But I am still interested in a kit!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Oops, didn't think about the 14th.

OK, 8 it is.

Salem, there should be plenty of kits.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

Dang, I'm committed to the Fireman's Outreach session in North Raleigh on the 8th of February.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS