Maple Vase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
This is a maple vase I finished last week. It has some very tight curl in it as well as very dark color. Most people think that it is walnut. It is 11 1/2" tall by 9" wide finished with deft.
Thanks,
Jack
IMG_1486.jpg
IMG_1482.jpg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
:eek:

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It takes around two hours to turn a vase of this size green and then about the same to return it when it dries. Some turners think I'm crazzy for returning Hollow forms, but I just like them to be round when done. I have around 6 hours more, hands on finishing it after it is turned. It takes a bit of time to sand the inside of a piece this large.
Thanks again,
Jack

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
It's a beauty, Jack! :eusa_clap Nice job! :icon_thum

B U T, that wood sure would have made some nice turkey calls!!
:rotflm:

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks again everyone. Reggie, I have around 30 pot blanks from the same tree. It is lighter but with the nice curl in it like the vase.
Jack

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Jack, that wide and non-conforming grain pattern is that I like about Maple and this is a really great example of it as well as an awesome bit of turning!

I'm just launching into hollow forms myself and am working with a Sorby Hollowmaster. Slowly I've learned to work with it and have had some success. What are you using for hollowing?

David

flyrod444

New User
Jack
David,
I use John Jordan's #1 curved 3/4" hollowing tool with his arm brace handle for under the lip of my HF's. I made a straight 3/4" hollowing tool for the rest of my Hollowing using the same size bit that come with John's tool.
Good Luck,
Jack

Trog777

New User
Trog
My wife is the lathe person here. I showed her the vase and asked her when she was going to make one like it. From the look I got I don't think I should expect it to happen anytime soon. Might not get breakfast either. :rotflm:

DavidF

New User
David
Wonderful shape, that would would look classic in any wood, but that piece really makes it special, nice job.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I just returned from my shop where I covered my lathe with a sheet and placed some flowers on it :embaresse :gar-Bi

Dang dood that is beautamus :eusa_clap :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sawduster,

You have to remember that is not his first bowl. You'll get there! :icon_thum

Now, go put that sheet back in the closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS