maple vase

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Here is a vase I just finished. It is turned from a piece of scrap I got when I roughed out a large blank for coring for a friend. It is 8" tall by 7 1/2" dia. Finish is a few coats of danish oil buffed and waxed.
Jack
IMG_0052.JPG

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
That is a gorgeous piece of work. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I want to try a hollow form. What tools do you use for your hollowing?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
That's a beauty, Jack.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That wood sure would have made some nice looking turkey calls!!

:rotflm:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
nice lines! great finish! beautiful wood!
sure looks better than a pile of shavings on the floor~
maybe one day we'll have a coring system.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks again everyone. Mike, I use and love a John Jordan hollowing tool and handle. It is the best I've used for getting under the rim of a hollow form. Any straight boring tool works for down in the bottom. I sit on a stool to hollow out with John's handle. It drops me down 4" or 5" so that I don't have to bend over when using his handle when hollowing. It is very important to keep the tool rest far enough back so that the curved part of the tool is always past the rest. If you get the curved part on the rest it will cause a lot of torque on your tool. I put links to where you can buy his tool and handle below.
Jack

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...&Product_Code=102723&Category_Code=tools-jord
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...&Product_Code=102725&Category_Code=tools-jord

DavidF

New User
David
A really nice looking vase! I am just getting in to hollow forms and they can be quite a challenge! I am finding the biggest problem is getting blanks of sufficient size to make a reasonable vase without re mortgaging the house!

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting the links Jack. I haven't noticed that type of handle before. When I was at the Richmond show, everyone was using those mean looking contraptions that look to be inspired by the movie "Saw" complete with freakin' laser beams. :evil3:

woodArtz

New User
Bob
A really nice looking vase! I am just getting in to hollow forms and they can be quite a challenge! I am finding the biggest problem is getting blanks of sufficient size to make a reasonable vase without re mortgaging the house!

I have the same problem. You'd think with all the sawyers on the forum, we'd have bunches of it... hint, hint, hint. :wink_smil

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Mike, if you ever get a chance to see John Jordan use his hollowing tools it will be of great help. He did a all day demo at our club back in the late summer and that has helped me a great deal. He is known for the wonderfull carving he does on his bowls, but he is a highly skilled in turning and hollowing out his forms as well. I like to turn free hand so his style fits me well. I've used a few of the captive systems with lazer attachments and really don't like them that much. If I turn anything deep say 12" or more they would be of use. I choose to stay less than that deep and turn free hand.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS