Making Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
After 2 months of making parts I finally got to the point where I can start assembly on my three end tables. The first pic is of the base. all the mortise and tenon joints are pegged with walnut dowels and the shelf floats for movement.

In the second pic I've laid the top on to get an idea of how its coming together. The only metal in the project will be the "Z" clamps holding the top.

Now to assemble the other two tables and start the fnishing process.

Maybe in another month it'll all be done :eusa_danc

Attachments

• BaseDone.JPG
    BaseDone.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 280
  • TopTest.JPG
    TopTest.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 275

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, those are some sturdy built tables...do much dancing on them :lol: :lol: Seriously, they are coming along quite nicely, I look forward to seeing them finished :icon_thum
Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Looking good Ken. I like the design elements a lot - straight lines and tight joints! Good proportions, solid throughout.

Out of curiousity, how did you handle the corners of the lower shelf at the leg interface to allow for expansion?

That's gonna be some kinda purty once it's completed. Whatcha gonna do for finish?

Keep the pics coming!

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Progress???? Looks as if you are nearing completion :lol:
That is one solid looking mission table. :icon_thum

Sapwood

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
cpowell said:
Out of curiousity, how did you handle the corners of the lower shelf at the leg interface to allow for expansion?
Chuck
The rails are dadoed and I cut the width slightly narrow. On the corners I measured three times allowing for 1/16" movement and promptly cut the notch 1/16" too big on both sides :eusa_doh:. I used my bandsaw to make the notch, the fine blade for my jigsaw broke. Either way works.

This table is the one by my chair so it will be hidden the most. I will do it more carefully for the other two. The finish will be wipe-on poly.

Last edited:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Ken Weaver said:
The rails are dadoed and I cut the width slightly narrow. On the corners I measured three times allowing for 1/16" movement and promptly cut the notch 1/16" too big on both sides :eusa_doh:. I used my bandsaw to make the notch, the fine blade for my jigsaw broke. Either way works.

This table is the one by my chair so it will be hidden the most. I will do it more carefully for the other two. The finish will be wipe-on poly.

I doubt anyone will notice the notch...I sure didn't. It just looked like a tricky area to me and I wondered how you made the cut!

Looking good, keep the pics coming!

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS