Major Olde Tool Gloat including a couple "Quest Machines"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Roche

jim
User
Let me start by saying that I have been on vacation this week (Carry over days from last year) and I feel I need another vacation already, just to recover from the traveling I've done in the last 4 days! It all started pretty harmlessly, just cruising CL and came across a complete Parks Planer down in Greenville, SC.Well being a fan of the old woodworking tools, I committed to the purchase and told him I could come down on Saturday. He said no problem holding it until then but it was at his buddy's shop and his buddy would only be around on Saturday from 8:00 to 8:30. I knew that the whole process was going too smooth...... long story short, I got to bed around 11pm and got up @ 3am and hit the road. The whole trip went off without a hitch. The Parks has been on my "Quest" list for quite some time. One of the nicest things about it is that it has the factory base and the usually missing belt guard. This will be my first venture with a 3 phase machine and will probably go the VFD route. I am sure I will be posting a thread about "how to wire a VFD?" LOL
2009_11290004.JPG

View image in gallery

The trip to Greenville was really not in the plans for this week as I had already planned another trip to Charleston, WV on Tuesday. I've had some tools in my shop that have been patiently waiting to be restored and with the way things go.... Never got around to getting them done. Well I hang out on OWWM.COM a lot and end up striking up a flat out trade with another member over there. I had a couple of machines that are hard to find and he had some other machines that had already been restored, that he was willing to trade for. The lathe is something that I have REALLY been looking for. These Yates lathes are very had to find and don't pop up too often, so needless to say, it was another quest machine. Now, I need to learn how to turn! I will stop rambling now and I appreciate you hanging in there this long. Hope you enjoy the pictures:

15" Delta Rockwell drillpress

1x42 Delta Rockwell sander

Walker Turner Combination Sander

Lastly.. Yates American Lathe

The lathe bed is propped up because I had to break it down to be able to get it off the truck. It also has the tailstock, live cener but I removed them so I wouldn't drop/lose them.
I plan on starting the restoration of the lathe when the weather gets a bit warmer. I have a couple of woodworking projects that I need to do first.

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Some fine ole arn!

I really like that lathe, it looks like a real workhorse. And variable speed, no less!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Wow! Nice scores! :eek:

If you are heading to WV, PLEASE look at this thread. There is a member there Steviegwood that is trying to get a mini lathe from FredP. That would be awesome if you could help them out. :icon_thum

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Way to go Jim. That lathes especially is a stylin' beauty.

Your success makes me ask: so, can you find me a working RAS ? :wink_smil

-Mark

Jim Roche

jim
User
Trent-
I looked at that thread before I left and said if I had room I would see if I could help out.. After I loaded the machines I was taking, I had about 1600 lbs in the truck and the poor girl is a 1995 Ford F150. The back bumper was about 6-8" off the ground when I was done loading. I even had parts in the cab with me. I travel alot with my job, so before I go, I try to look at the PE to see if I can help out.

Mark-
Shoot me a PM with the specifics that you are looking for and I might be able to help out!

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Jim,
Congrats man! Nice haul, & already restored to boot! That WT combo sander is on my quest list too...One day...

That Yates is a beast!

Jim Roche

jim
User
Thanks Heath,
I thought you would like the WT, since you're a WT fan also. The one thing that I did learn about it was that it has the belt/sander of course but the one side has adjustments to move the table and down, so you can use the one side as stroke sander. I had never seen one in person that had the stroke sander table attached before. I guess its kinda like the missing "goose egg" on the Unisaws.

Thanks,
Jim

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wow, you've been richly rewarded for your efforts. I honestly don't know much about old iron but I love the style and heft!

Roger

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
I knew Yates made planers, but did not know they made lathes. That one is a hoss for sure.
James

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Nice score!

Re the 3 phase, if you think that you'll be acquiring more 3-phase equipment in the future I would encourage you to obtain a rotary phase converter instead of a VFD. With an RPC, you can use it on any equipment as long as it's large enough to support your largest motor.

A VFD, on the other hand, has to be matched to the motor HP that it is serving.

Jim Roche

jim
User
Hey Scott
I think this will be my only 3 phase machine, I have managed to pretty much stay away from them or swapped out motors but the planer has a nice set up and I thought it might be easier to go the VFD route rather than to find a large single phase motor and swap it. Thanks for the advice.

Jim

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jim, you can usually find a good used 5 hp coverter for a couple of hundred bucks on craigslist or e-bay, or make one yourself from a surplus 3-phase motor. They are ultra-dependable and very, very easy to wire.

I've installed several VFD's, and have one built into a drill press. They are pretty slick for machinery that requires varying the motor speeds.

That sure is some great looking equipment - can't wait to see the post-restoration pix.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS