Magnifying glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Does anyone know where I can find one of those magnifying glasses that you hook to you scroll saw - my eyes are getting kind of old:swoon:

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Re: Magnifying class

Does anyone know where I can find one of those magnifying classes that you hook to you scroll saw - my eyes are getting kind of old:swoon:

I took one of those classes a long time ago. Can't remember where!:gar-La;

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Phillip,

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p4_Magnifying-Lamps_24413_Business_Supplies_2_10051_SC2:CG35:DP2240:CL142806

If so, I have a spare one that is similar. Mine has a clamp for a mount. You can hook it on a shelf, desktop, etc. Mine did not cost nearly what the Staples one does, and I'd be happy to let it go for $25.

Just let me know if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer Ray - I am going to stop by the HF in Winston next week and see what they have - if I don;t like them I will see about getting the one from you

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
this site goes so fast anymore I miss more than I see! Just saw this

We bought one of those at AC Moore, the craft place. It was a bit costly. BUT~
the girl at the checkout gave us a coupon for 1/2 off one item. Guess which item we used it on???
We went back and got the better one btw. it has 2 magnifiers one is 5x the other 7x with my bifocals (a badge of distinction???:tongue2:) (my daughter calls them a curse of old age:help:) the 5x one is better for us it has the fluorescent bulb
Great purchase IMHO~
try your local craft place AC Moore BenFranklin Michael's etc

PChristy

New User
Phillip
the 5x one is better for us it has the fluorescent bulb
Great purchase IMHO~
try your local craft place AC Moore BenFranklin Michael's etc

Thanks for the info Andrew -

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I buy those cheap reading glasses at the pharmacy. I have 2.5, 3, 4 x and they work pretty well for close work. I like them better than a big magnifying glass that gets in my way.

And I prefer a small halogen spot light to work by rather than a florescent. I can direct the light from the side which gives better depth and shadow detail.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I buy those cheap reading glasses at the pharmacy. I have 2.5, 3, 4 x and they work pretty well for close work. I like them better than a big magnifying glass that gets in my way.

And I prefer a small halogen spot light to work by rather than a florescent. I can direct the light from the side which gives better depth and shadow detail.

Great idea Mike ! :icon_thum
I have one of those magnifying lights and it does bring the work closer but my fingers look like broomsticks under it and I can't get my perspective right so I don't use it except off to the side for a light

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have a lamp/magnifier that I think came from Target. It is a "DayLite" which is an OTT wannabe, but cheaper. It is good for a lot of things because it shows colors differently; more like day light. But like Sawduster/Robert, I usually just use it as a light. But the eye protection I use for scroll sawing and carving I got at the drug store and it had a little label on it that said +2.75; I am not quite sure what that means :roll:, but things do look a little clearer through them. :mrgreen: (note that I have to wear reading glasses; if you are 20/20, then you may want lower power).

DavidF

New User
David
I use the HF head mounted magnifier. Has 2 magnifications and even lights! about $5 I seem to remember, a lot cheaper than some I have seen ata $40!!!

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Yea, I have those glasses too - but I am still having trouble - I thought that maybe one of the lamp/magnifier would help me out alot better -

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
When I first started using a scrollsaw I bought a lighted magnifier on a z mount, but had major problems trying to use it because the magnification in the center was slightly different than it was around the edges. I got eyestrain headaches after using it only a short while so I quickly abandoned it. Then I bought a head band type magnifier, and have been using it ever since. I found that I needed the lense to move with my head so that everything that I looked at had the same magnification so that I wouldn't get the headaches. It would be great if I could find a cheap version of the magnifying eyeglasses that surgeons wear, but the cheapest that I've found are about $1000 and way out of my budget. For now I'm sticking with the headband type.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS