Madrone burl box....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I haven't posted anything in a while and decided I needed to so folks will know I am still alive and kicking....;-)

Here is a box I turned from a chunk of Madrone burl I have had for at least three years drying. I have turned pens from this wood and also used it for lid panels on jewelry boxes. This is the first piece of any size I have turned. I had been told Madrone burl was very susceptible to movement and needed to be bone dry if you were going to turn anything large from it. Now this box isn't all that large at 3" tall and 3 3/4" in diameter but for a box it is about as large as I turn. Much larger and you will start seeing seasonal humidity effects in some woods.

Madrone is a pretty nice wood to turn but on this piece I found all kinds of voids inside near where the bottom of the box was going to be and I was afraid I might end up with a box with no bottom. I saw a few cracks on the exterior of this piece in the rough but no evidence of the voids.

Thanks for looking.....

Attachments

• Madrone1-1 (700 x 700).jpg
    Madrone1-1 (700 x 700).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 109

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike, that is so smooooth! And the Madrone has a lot of interesting figure :icon_thum

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Outstanding!!! I really like the form, the top compliments the curvature of the sides perfectly. Another masterpiece :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum WOW :icon_thum :icon_thum

Mike Your work is beautiful :eusa_clap

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Sweeet Mike. I wondered if you had tapered off as haven't seen any new items from you lately. The figure is great.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Thanks all! Travis, tapered off, not at all. I have been turning like crazy, just not posting much. I probably had as busy a year turning as I ever have. I turned well over 100 boxes this year so I have been busy just not as active on the forums....

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Well, obviously, we have missed out by not being privvy to your pictures! :0) I'm happy you have been busy...I hope that you can find the time to continue to post new pix again. I really like your stuff...

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS