Low voltage wiring code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
We're in the early stages of remodeling our kitchen, nope I'm not doing it luckily, and are considering adding under cabinet lighting. Now the project mgr, as well as several others, have told us numerous times that if we want anything electrical installed (hood, light fixtures....etc) that their electrician will do it with no additional charge as long as we have it all on hand while they are there. Although I've directly asked for confirmation every time we speak in person as well as email I'm a little skeptical. I'm thinking they might decide to draw the line at the cabinet lighting since they offer the puck style, that we aren't real fond of, as an upgrade for a very steep price. In the event that they do I'm planning on putting it in myself and want to make sure I don't commit any no-no's. If I end up doing it I'm hoping to get everything in before they put in the back splash.

1) Does Wake Co/Raleigh have any code against running low voltage wiring enclosed? Say behind the back splash? I saw a blurb from a distributor that mentioned that low voltage wiring behind sheet rock wasn't allowed in some areas.

2) Anyone have any firsthand experience with installing and have any suggestions on things to look out for?

3) Any brands to avoid? I'm looking at the Kichler 12v linear line at present and am trying to figure my transformer, wiring, track, and bulb requirements.

4) Anyone see anything I should be addressing that I didn't ask?

TIA,
Brian.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Not sure as to the code but here is my 2cents worth that my help.
1.. I would reconsider running the wiring inside a wall even though it would be nicer and out of the way.
2..When using low voltage lighting which is nice, there is or can be a situation where one or more fixtures need to be replaced for various reasons.
3..I would, if code would allow have an outlet installed in a nearby cabinet so as to have a place to mount the transformer in case it needed replacing later.

I made mention of this because these are some of the things I have ran into here since moving in 4 years ago. Also something to consider is the moisture from a coffee pot, the stove or other steam causing cooker that may set near to being under a cabinet. It may be just close enough to allow the moisture from the steam to cause a problem with the lighting fixtures....been there...done that....refer to #3 above LOL. I had the low voltsage halogen light bars with 3 lights in each bar and the bulb sockets gave up due to moisture. So be sure to choose wisely, in my case someone else had already made the choice.

Good Luck

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Jeff, that doesn't surprise me at all. :no:

Dude, good suggestions and pretty much in line with my plans. :thumbs_up

To clarify, I'm only interested in running the wiring behind the back splash to get the from one section of cabinets under a window to the section of cabinets on the other side. I'm planning to add a dimmer switch in an existing box so the wiring would run behind the back splash from there to the cabinet above it. My plan is to mount the transformer in the cabinet under the sink to have it accessible, so the wiring would run in the wall from the box to there as well. I'm pretty sure mounting the transformer in the wall or anywhere inaccessible wouldn't be a good idea even if code would allow it so I'm not even considering that.

Thanks,
Brian.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Doorbell wiring, standard twisted pair, is low voltage and that is run everywhere. No secondary sheath or junctions boxes are required. Heck, some fancy low voltage lighting systems are strung from unshielded wires.I did find a place where is said that low voltage lighting (30 volts or less) is required to have a 20 amp circuit for the transformer.

Here is the 2005 NC Electrical Code.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Alan, thanks for the link. I've only had time to look at it briefly since it's rather long and I'm rather slow!!:rotflm::rotflm:

Brian.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The code as I remember it when I used to install telephone stuff was that anything that was less than 50 volts fell outside of the NEC and out of the electrical inspector's purview with a couple of exceptions. One exception was that if the wire was run in a ceiling that acted as a return (cold air return ceilings) the wire had to be in conduit or teflon coated, but that is commercial and wouldn't apply.

If it is less than 50 volts that is low voltage. Do not run low voltage wire in the same holes or right on top of regular electrical anymore than you can help as it will pick up noise and current just from the EM field that is generated by high voltage.

JMTCW and it is worth what you paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS