Looking for feedback: "NCWW How Do I" page...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Looks like a great idea Jim.

Not sure how far you want to take it. Would you also include how-tos on joints, finishing, turning, machine setup, etc?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Its a great idea.

I'll keep that in mind as I look at tools.

What I'm working on is a specific FAQ/Page for questions about NCWW.

Jim

Looks like a great idea Jim.

Not sure how far you want to take it. Would you also include how-tos on joints, finishing, turning, machine setup, etc?

b4man

New User
Barbara
Would there be any value to have links below each question for an at length answer and keep the page to a minimum word count? Seems like we sometimes can't see the words for the paragraphs:eusa_thin

Thanks for another great suggestion!

Barbara

nelsone

New User
Ed
:icon_scraHuh, go figure! I thought we already had a faq page!:dontknow:

Looks like a great idea!:widea:

jhreed

New User
james
sounds great. Would be a wondeful tool for someone like me who is trying to learn from scratch.
James

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
:thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up
I actually learned something new from that page :)

M

McRabbet

I am in 100% favor of the Page -- let me know if I can help with any additions to the links listed there.

M

McRabbet

Alan -- I'm not sure if you saw it in his opening post, Froglips provided a link that shows what he is proposing. Since the objective is to provide "one-stop shopping" for Site-related answers, I suspect a search feature isn't needed, but maybe it is possible. The built-in search features on the Nav bar should suffice for forum content searches. As an example of the objective of the new page, I just added a link on it to my thread in the Help Forum entitled "Symbols and Shortcuts on Index Pages", which should help newcomers understand all of the small icons displayed on many pages.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Thanks for the kind words of support!

I have been looking at other FAQ tools, and they are pretty nifty. But, I'm not sure they make the job worth the effort.

What I setup is "simply" a collection of threads on one page. I think it fits our "style" to use threads with posts as the heart of the collection. Many FAQ tools are very restrictive and don't offer room for discussion.

I envision a thread being so helpful, we promote it to a How Do I entry. Over time, I suspect we will recognize those threads easily. Many of our Help Desk threads end up being immensely useful How Do I discussions.

While a search feature hadn't been on my list, it might be doable. I'll add that for consideration in the "next release".

Keep the ideas coming!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS