Looking for an entry-level wood lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

NChomebrewing

New User
Chris
I've been looking around and stalking craigslist looking for a decent entry-level mini/midi lathe to get started turning. I started by using the lathes over at the RDU Tech Shop for a couple of months, but don't want to keep paying when the main tool I use is the lathe. I figure it'll be a better investment to just purchase one for myself.

Does anyone know where the best place to find one would be? I'd love to purchase a used lathe if anyone has one that they would like to get rid of. Any accompanying jaws, chucks, live centers, and turning tools would also be appreciated.

As for sharpening, I assume the slow speed grinder that Woodcraft has is pretty much the standard? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help!

manfre

New User
Manfre
As for sharpening, I assume the slow speed grinder that Woodcraft has is pretty much the standard? Any other suggestions?

Instead of a grinder, you could buy tools that use disposable carbide cutters. I don't spend as much time on the lathe as i'd like and I'm still on the same cutters. Roughing gouge rotated a quarter turn and the finishing cutter was rotated twice.

For the tools that do need to be resharpened, I freehand resharpen them with a worksharp. As far as I know, plans for grinding jigs don't exist for the worksharp, but they do exist for the slow speed grinder.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Whatever you do don't buy an old vintage lathe unless you are willing to spend a month setting it up. :D

I'm assuming you checked craigslist? They pop up on there all the time but the good ones go fast. Also, the lathe is usually the cheap part; you'll spend more on chucks and tools than the lathe.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
watch craigslist and the classifieds ad here. the come up.

using the easy tools is a good suggestion but i find i get the finish i want with a good crown tool easier than with the easy tools.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
In my experience, lathes do turn up used, but not as frequently as other tools. If you really like turning, you could go ahead and buy a new lathe which would save you the step of buying a used one that isn't quite what you want. Most turning things sell for close to new price so if you want to sell your new lathe, you wouldn't have any problem. It's good that you are thinking of starting with a mini/midi lathe so you can go up as you need and still have a good lathe for smaller stuff. I use all four of my lathes as they are needed and find no one lathe is overall best. Of course, you can turn small things on a big lathe, but not vice versa.

Roy G

awldune

Sam
User
Hi Chris,

I've been watching the Raleigh CL for several months and pickings have been a little slim for "midi" or full sized lathes. Mini lathes are a bit more common, and some of those are well-regarded for beginners and pen turners. The Rikon 12x16 is a popular choice.

I would be all over this:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/3526600539.html
except that it only has a 9'' swing.

Rocker

New User
John
I've been looking around and stalking craigslist looking for a decent entry-level mini/midi lathe to get started turning. I started by using the lathes over at the RDU Tech Shop for a couple of months, but don't want to keep paying when the main tool I use is the lathe. I figure it'll be a better investment to just purchase one for myself.

Does anyone know where the best place to find one would be? I'd love to purchase a used lathe if anyone has one that they would like to get rid of. Any accompanying jaws, chucks, live centers, and turning tools would also be appreciated.

Chris,
I just noticed your post. I am about to post a Delta midi-lathe that also has an extended bed and lathe tools as well as a good quality chuck. I am asking $250 for everything. Let me know if you're interested. I'll be posting tomorrow.
John 919 557 8393. I'm located in Fuquay Varina.

awldune

Sam
User
Chris,
I just noticed your post. I am about to post a Delta midi-lathe that also has an extended bed and lathe tools as well as a good quality chuck. I am asking $250 for everything. Let me know if you're interested. I'll be posting tomorrow.
John 919 557 8393. I'm located in Fuquay Varina.

I might be interested if Chris isn't. What model?

Rocker

New User
John
Sam and Chris,
This is the Delta LA200 midi lathe. I have about $550 invested in it and think I'm offering a good price.
Let me know.
John

awldune

Sam
User
It doesn't quite meet my needs, but I would heartily encourage Chris to go for this lathe at that price. Great deal, and especially so with a chuck and tools.

Rocker

New User
John
I will post this lathe on Monday. It has a OneWay Talon chuck and I just realized that I paid $350 for the chuck alone, so I'll raise the price to $350 when I post. I will keep the price at $250 for Jay and Chris for a week. I hope that's fair.
John

rarmor06

New User
Rick

I have a basic Grizzley lathe and a duplicator that I never use. If you want to look at it I am sure it won't be a wasted effort. I am looking to get around 150 for both.

If you are interested let me know
Rick

awldune

Sam
User
I have a basic Grizzley lathe and a duplicator that I never use. If you want to look at it I am sure it won't be a wasted effort. I am looking to get around 150 for both.

If you are interested let me know
Rick

Hi Rick, can you provide more details about your lathe? I can search specs and pictures if you have the model number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS