Long time lurker, first time poster

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimist

New User
Joel
Greetings from SoVA. I've been a wood dilettante (hope I'm using that word right) for years. The biggest thing I've created that didn't require a roof is a smallish (kitchen) buffet. Turned out ok, but I learned that drawers are not my thing. But, a few years ago we moved from NoVA to here and bought a 175 yr old house in the country. With the house comes a few things I need to do that are going to push me a bit. In software they have what the call the 'Not invented here' syndrome. In wood-working it's probably the 'I can do that' syndrome. Or maybe it's 'I Could do that'. Whatever, I have both. So far, having that syndrome has meant that nothing much is getting done around the house - except the list of things needing done is getting larger. Hoping to learn from some folks with much more experience as I force myself to do some of those things.

Joel

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome Joel. I use a slight variation on that expression - "I can do that...if I buy another tool first". :) Welcome! Glad to have you join. A 175 year old house you said? Then it definitely pays to have some woodworking skills, since nothing standard will ever fit.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Joel!:wsmile:

Glad to have you and I for one are anxiously awaiting some stories about your restoration. Oh..and we really enjoy pictures, lots and lots of pictures.

Have fun around here and post often.

Wayne

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Welcome Joel. I use a slight variation on that expression - "I can do that...if I buy another tool first". :) Welcome! Glad to have you join. A 175 year old house you said? Then it definitely pays to have some woodworking skills, since nothing standard will ever fit.

Joel,

Welcome to our pile-o-sawdust. Glad you decided to jump in with us. And you should listen to the wisdom of Bas... the reason some projects don't turn out correctly, is because you didn't purchase a new tool first. :gar-Bi

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
thanx for steppin outta the shadows and into the light! :gar-Bi pay no attention to the bas he buys a tool for EVERYTHING!:rotflm: on second thought......:eusa_thin

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Joel. This is a friendly bunch. Always willing to help. Enjoy!

If I'm not mistaken, you are pretty close to our good friend Glennbear, who is an esteemed member and moderator on this site. I'm sure he will be along to give you the official VA welcome to NCWWer!!!:gar-Bi

cpw

New User
Charles
Welcome Joel. You already know from lurking that if you think you can do it and want a little help and reassurance, this is the place.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Joel. Glad you joined. There are a few members in So Va as well as just over the border in Warren County. All great folks.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Joel -- looks like you, Purple Thumb and I have the corner on big hard working white dogs! Mine is a 6 yr old male Great Pyrenees named Badger -- shown hard at work! Your's looks more like PT's sofa-loving female...

optimist

New User
Joel
Welcome to the site, Joel -- looks like you, Purple Thumb and I have the corner on big hard working white dogs! Mine is a 6 yr old male Great Pyrenees named Badger -- shown hard at work! Your's looks more like PT's sofa-loving female...

Thanks - Yeah, I have been seeing quite of few of them here! We've got three Cuvac's, a breeding pair we got from Slovakia, and one of their pups we couldn't let go - she's the one pictured - the only one who thinks she's special enough to get away with climbing on the couch.

Joel

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Joel. A 175 year old house? :eek: Yep, I'd say you're gonna be pretty busy. :swoon: Anyway, it's great to have you here. Can't wait to hear about the projects on your house. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS