Local lumber warehouse needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am looking for a source of good furniture grade hardwood plywood. I have used one in Danville, Va but the cost of gas is keeping me closer to home. I looked at our post here but found it a little mind blowing. Could someone give me some information as to what is out there? I understand there is something in Raleigh, where is it and what do they have.

J

jeff...

I am looking for a source of good furniture grade hardwood plywood. I have used one in Danville, Va but the cost of gas is keeping me closer to home. I looked at our post here but found it a little mind blowing. Could someone give me some information as to what is out there? I understand there is something in Raleigh, where is it and what do they have.

I wanted to put one up one somewhere close to Raleigh and have it run on the honor system. A place where NCWoodWorker members could bring their lumber they wanted to sell and members could come and buy it. I mean your not a woodworker if you don't have wood now are you? :wsmile: I anticipated the current situation with fuel costs and the growing membership factor - thought it would be a good idea and all. I even went as far as to contact some of the sawyers on the site and bounce the idea off them - they were game to give it a try... But I never found a place... So the idea fell apart and whithered on the vine. :wsad:

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Jeff, I have made several pieces of furniture with solid hardwood but now would like to use 3/4" and 1'4" plywood because of moisture problems. As I said earlier, I went to Va. for 1/4" cherry for my kitchen cabinet door panels. But the gas cost makes me stop and look for another place to go. I would like 3/4" cherry and walnut as well as 1/4" of the same. Half sheets would work as well. Most projects I am looking at would work with part of a sheet. What do you know about the company in Raleigh?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Lorraine, there are good several places in Raleigh. Which to choose depends on how much you need to buy. For small quantities the Raleigh Hardwood Center (AKA Wurth Group) is probably your best bet, and they are open for a half day on Saturdays. For larger volume there is Horizon Forest Products, McEwen Lumber, and Jackson International. Also Roger at East Wake Hardwoods can get whatever you might want, though he doesn't keep much plywood in stock. You might consider calling the Hardwood Store in Gibbsonville and seeing if they have any deliveries coming your way.
Your best bet overall would be contacting some local cabinet shops and seeing if you can piggy-back on one of their orders. They will most likely be buying in enough volume to get the best deals and I am sure that someone would be willing to throw a few extra sheets on for a nice lady woodworker.

MTCW,
Dave:)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Dave, yes it would be nice to get a couple of pieces thrown in with a local cabinet makers order. I have considered that, I just happen to know of one in the area. Could you tell me where the Raleigh Hardwood Ctr is from 85 North?

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Lorraine -

If you're interested in 1/2 sheets of plywood, I'd be happy to pick them up for you here in Raleigh and bring them up to Gaston. Probably easiest for you to contact the company and get it ordered the way you want and then I can pick up and deliver on my next trip up. Usually up there at least once a week. Send me a PM if I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS