Link to mortise-and-tenon

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I need a link to use of mortise-and-tenon cutting with hollow chisel mortising attachment for my drill press. I have the attachment but I don't have instructions with it. My cut will be 1" wide and 8" long on a 1 3/8" board. I could use a Forstner bit and a sharp chisel but I have this attachment so I would like to use it. Lorraine

Easy instructions from the guys would also work.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Paul, tell me it isn't as complicated as it looks? I believe this is the same one that I have. Thanks for the link. Have you used yours yet? Tell me it isn't difficult to set up. Lorraine

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
It wasn't difficult to set up. I have a craftsman drill press with the laser attachment. For me to use the mortise attachment I have to take the laser one off. Once I figured out which insert to use for the chisel holder I taped the other ones together and they stay in the box. Less confusing next time you use it. Put the alignment pin in the quill and then attach the chisel holder with spacers. Take the alignment pin out and put in the chisel and bit. The chip ejection slot goes either to the left or the right as per the instruction. Square the chisel with the fence and table. That should pretty much be it. I haven't used mine in a while so memory is a bit sketchy. I hope this helps.

Paul

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Following with this post, I am attempting to attach the attachment to my Ridgid drill press. Does anyone have a link that will allow me to print the manual for the drill press? The drill press was a gift from my brother. Also would someone tell me how to lock the spindle down in a lower position? I can't find anything that will work. Thanks Lorraine

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
As I continue to attach the mortising attachment to my drill press I have another question. Someone who uses this attachment will understand. I have positioned the chisel holder in place over a set of bushings. The chisel holder doesn't fit over the bushings because of the stainless steel collar that sits inside the holder. Can I remove the collar and be ok? The manual doesn't mention the stainless steel collar. There are three sets of bushings, I think I have the proper set in place. I must remove the collar if I am going to go over the bushings. Lorraine

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Lorraine, I assume you are talking about a collar in the chisel holder. I got mine out and it doesn't have a collar in it.

Paul

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Unless this collar came off the drill press and I didn't see it before.
I can remove it, it slides out. If I remove it the holder will fit over the bushings.
The drill press and the attachment came from my brother. Maybe it is something he fashioned. It looks like a stainless steel bracelet. If you think I am safe, I am going to remove it and keep going with the setup.

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Mine doesn't have a collar any where in the box and looking at the instructions and parts list one is not needed. I have model 17-924 Delta mortising attachment. I think if there is a collar between the bushings and chisel holder then the chisel holder would not tighten down properly.

Paul

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
As I said, this could be something my brother fashioned himself. He is no longer with us so I can't ask questions. I have a Ridgid floor model drill press and a Delta attachment that he purchased for this drill press. I think I am going to just continue without the extra collar. My manual doesn't show this extra collar either. If it fits tight I should be good. I am noticing in the delta manual that the instructions go along with delta products only. It should work as well on my Ridgid. Here goes nothing. Thanks for the help. Lorraine

No that I think about it, it could be that this was made for the holder because the drill press isn't a Delta and did need it. We shall see soon. Lorraine

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Lorraine,

I wish I could help you, but you're just a few steps ahead of me. I've had the same attachment new in box for about 3 years. Today I decided that I needed it and searched for the instructions for assembly. Sure enough I found them in a stack of tool related stuff. So tomorrow I will attempt to install it and make mortises. Never used a machine for mortises, so this will be another learning experience.

Gotta keep these old brain cells stirred up. Good luck with your project and pay attention. If I have problems I'll expect you to be able to offer advice.

Roy

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Lorraine, I think it will be fine. Like you said as long as it fits together tight it shouldn't be a problem. For what it's worth, I'd go with it. :lol:

Paul

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
My holder is attached but it isn't tight on the spindle so I am not sure that it is correct yet. I am now attaching the fence. I used one set of bushings in the installation but not the collar. I did notice that I wasn't able to push the holder all the way up to the top around the bushings because the bottom of the holder met with the spindle and prevented the holder from going all the way to the top. Maybe 1/2" from the top. Can we compare notes tomorrow after you get yours attached? I am sure I will be ready for additional questions. I have two trestle tables and four trestle benches in my future. Immediate future, working on the first table now. Lorraine:BangHead:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The holder should clamp quill (round stationary part above the chuck) and be VERY secure. Since you are using a delta attachment on a rigid drill press it may not fit perfectly. Once you get that right, put whatever chisel in you are going to use as far as it will go. If there is a bushing/collar in it and it interferes, take it out. It may be for use with different size chisels. Then get your drill bit in. You need from 1/16" to 1/8" space between the chisel and the drill bit to allow chips to flow. If you don't do this, the drill bit will get hot and break. The bigger the chisel you use the more clearance you want for chip movement. I learned this the hard way with 4 drill bits, got mad, and went and bought a dedicated bench top mortiser and found out when I went back to Woodcraft in Kansas (I lived there at the time) and the guy working there explained it to me. Get your fence in position and then make sure you have your chisel square to the fence. Set your depth of cut, and then drill out each of the ends of your mortise first then work to the other side.

Make sure you have your hold down tight. Cutting large mortises can be a PITA as the chisel wants to stick and it puts a lot of torque on your press overall. Take your time, and it should work.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I installed and used that attachment several times last week but I am using a Delta DP. The attachment MUST be clamped tightly to the quill. I had to remove the keyless chuck as it is too long and move my drill stop up about an inch to make room for the mortise attachment. One of the three sets of inserts worked just right.

Please do pay attention to the spacing (like Travis said) between the hollow chisel and the drill bit. If it is too tight too much heat can build up. The chisel may hang in the cut pulling it down out of the mortise attachment. You will need to check this a few times to make sure.

Also, I found that the machining marks on the outside of the hollow chisel were excessive and I honed them smooth. The chisel is now much easier to remove which is especially noticed on the first plunge (please note Travis's PITA comment) where all 4 sides are in contact with the wood.

Lastly, I had some difficulty keeping the chisel assembly aligned with the fence which caused some uneven edges in the mortise (reinforcing the habit of cutting the mortise first then cutting the tenon to fit the mortise). After some "contemplation" I realized that I was moving the whole table when I moved the work piece. I did not have the DP table tight enough and I had the clamps on the work piece too tight. I felt as thought I had to have them tight because the chisel was so dang hard to get out on the first plunge.

Good luck. Persistence with patience.

John

DavidF

New User
David
I have just cut 18 through mortises in Oak with my delta attachment on delta dp and must say not impressed. First, the chisels that came with the unit were #$5&* and I purchased the sharpening system from rockler. Much better after that but results still bad. I had a backer board up under the stock and clamped everything together and still the breakout on the back was horrific! There is so much force required to cut oak with this tool that I was worried about breaking something on the dp. I also had a fence set up that aligned each cut, but there was so much flex in the chisel that the edges of the mortises showed slight ridging that I wasn't impressed with. As these were through mortises and on display I had to clean them up by hand and then cut the tenons to fit. I packed it all away afterwards vowing never to use it again. Instead I would use a router and square the ends by hand. I usually do this, but thought hey, I have this attachment that I've never used, why not give it a go - never again...

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Me too . . .

Tried mine once and put it back (way back) in my misc. parts cabinet.

Hey, maybe I should post it in our new "For Sale" section . . . nah :slap:

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS