Lignum Vitae roller guides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Dog

New User
Mad Dog
My Rikon bandsaw (10-320) is equipped with roller guides (basically ball bearings). These don't last long before they become stiff and don't turn anymore. Seems like some folk with the square block type of guides like to make their own from Lignum Vitae because of its hardness and oily character.

I'm thinking of getting some pen blanks (3/4") from Rockler and making some 1/4" thick discs (with a 5/16" hole) on the lathe and using these as blade guides. Would this be a worthwhile experiment?

Another major advantage is they can be right up against the blade, which would lead to greater accuracy in the saw cut.

Whaddya think?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bearings have, well, bearings inside of them - little metal balls that roll against the inner and outer sleeves. What will serve this function in the Lignum replacement? How will it be mounted?

Just a couple of issues that need solved - can't say it's a bad idea if those can be solved.

I'm surprised the real bearings aren't lasting very long. The bearings in my Grizzly Band Saw have never needed replacing. I don't use the saw daily or anything so maybe its a question of usage.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I buy skate board bearings from Amazon.com IIRC they are less than $10 for eight or ten. Search for the size and you will see lots of entries.

I have some some lignum vitae and have made bearings with it, but it works better for friction bearings and steel works better for roller bearings.

Mad Dog

New User
Mad Dog
Thanks for the the replies!

IMAG0370.jpg

Ken,
I was thinking the Lignum Vitae would provide the oiliness to spin around that black "top-hat-spacer" (for want of a better phrase).

The band saw doesn't get used all that much so it's not like they got wore out. Maybe I should try out the Griz bearings.

Mike,
Ha! Yeah, that's where I got the last lot of bearings from. They are about a year old now and don't spin anymore. Maybe I should just regard them as "consumables", like blades and tires.

If I went with the Lignum Vitae they would be pressed tight against the blade and would kinda function as a friction bearing, right?

I don't know - I think I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, they are consumable, I would not expect friction bearings to last a year. I'd rather pay six bucks every six months than to spend an hour every six weeks turning new wood bearings.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I use Lignum Vitae blocks in both of mine and they work very well. A few years ago, I bought a 12" x 2" x 2" cutoff at Klingspors or maybe it was Woodcraft for about a buck. Still have 50 years of it left!

JohnW

New User
John
I had that Rikon saw and had a couple of bearings stiffen up from lack of use. I soaked them in machine oil over night and got them working again. Gave that saw away last year to a neighbor and all bearings are still working. He keeps it cleaner than I did and uses it much more often which I think helps keeps the bearings loose.

I refurbished a vintage 14" Delta Rockwell with square block guides and actually like them better for holding smaller blades in position. The ceramic guides on my larger Laguna are really nice but way overkill for the a small saw & blade.

IMHO you are better off fixing/replacing bearings on that saw as opposed to spending the time and money to retrofit it for square block guides.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The ball bearing saw guides, including Carter, are not sealed bearings. They should occasionally be given a drop of light machine oil. The (seals) or side covers, can be pried off very carefully, aND even more carefully cleaned with thinners, to desolve sap aND pitch residue.I replaced my Carter guides with sealed router bit guide bearings. Klingspors carries those bearings. They need no maintenance.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
If you can open the bearings up, you could clean them out and then put in a dry lubricant. That would reduce the amount of sawdust they'll pick up.

Mad Dog

New User
Mad Dog
Well, here's your problem right here, ma'am:
IMAG0371.jpg

You can also see that the "retainer" piece is easily damaged when pried off the bearing, so "maintenance" doesn't look like an option.
Sawman, you sure you got those sealed bearings form Klingspor? - all I can see are regular bearings, and $3.45 for one.
Still thinking about the Lignum - a bearing made from a dowel rod would have a totally different grain orientation from one made from hole-sawing from a board. I'm thinking from a dowel would be best but what do you think?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Well, here's your problem right here, ma'am:
View attachment 16830

You can also see that the "retainer" piece is easily damaged when pried off the bearing, so "maintenance" doesn't look like an option.
Sawman, you sure you got those sealed bearings form Klingspor? - all I can see are regular bearings, and $3.45 for one.
Still thinking about the Lignum - a bearing made from a dowel rod would have a totally different grain orientation from one made from hole-sawing from a board. I'm thinking from a dowel would be best but what do you think?

Yup, I am sure I did. I got them at the Hickory store. Mike is the man that carefully pried the protective collar off, then found a sealed bearing match they sell for router bit guides. Those are sealed. I did not try to reclaim the original bearing.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yup, I am sure I did. I got them at the Hickory store. Mike is the man that carefully pried the protective collar off, then found a sealed bearing match they sell for router bit guides. Those are sealed. I did not try to reclaim the original bearing.

I never pried any bearings apart. When mine got sticky I searched for new ones, found the same shielded ones for $3-$4 each then kept searching til I found sealed and kept searching til I found them for about two bucks each.

gritz

New User
Robert
My search was exactly the same as Mike's. The skateboard bearings have held up for over a year.

I never pried any bearings apart. When mine got sticky I searched for new ones, found the same shielded ones for $3-$4 each then kept searching til I found sealed and kept searching til I found them for about two bucks each.

Truefire

New User
Chris
I have seen others use the Lignum Vitae and I understand totally your angle from which you are coming. Plus, its not like there will be a constant pressure on them all the time anyway if the saw is setup properly. If you go this route, keep us posted.

Was not aware of the detail regarding replacement using skateboard bearings. That's great to know. Thanks for that tidbit.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Check out VBX Bearings. They carry THOUSANDS of different bearings. A set of eight 608-2RS ( kit 8339) will set you back $10.37. These are SEALED bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS