Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Does anyone own/know how well/old this Leigh Jig is :

cid_A2EB9308-B3E3-40D0-8D63-13BDD4F6530C.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That happens to be the Leigh D1258R. It very well may be 16 to 18 years old. It does not appear to have any of the upgrades that were offered for it over the years (cam locks, improved stops, improved guides).

It would have come in a 12 or 24 inch model. It is an excellent unit. I happen to have the 24" one. I bought it new approximately 17 years ago.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
May be this one, Matt..........

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/leigh.htm

Is it 18" or 24" and does it have variable spacing of the fingers?

It could be up to 10 years old?:dontknow:

Wayne

That happens to be the Leigh D1258R. It very well may be 16 to 18 years old. It does not appear to have any of the upgrades that were offered for it over the years (cam locks, improved stops, improved guides).

It would have come in a 12 or 24 inch model. It is an excellent unit. I happen to have the 24" one. I bought it new approximately 17 years ago.

Wayne/Travis

Thanks for nailing it down for me. Just two more questions , Travis:

-Does this do variable spaced joints?

-How much did it retail for at that time? Trying to figuare fair price. New ones ret @500. I would imagine this woulda gone for about $350 ish?

Thanks Again

Matt

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Yes, it does variable spaced joints. At the time (16 years go) I think I paid between $280 and $350. I can't say for sure as it has been a long time ago.

striker

New User
Stephen
For what its worth, I just sold mine last month for 275. It was the 24" inch model -about 6-8 years old.

Stephen

woodylarry

New User
Larry
There ya go. Now that's a DT jig! Same as mine, could be a bit older and as stated looks to be missing some of the "newer" features. Nevertheless, a nice DT jig if the price is right. Cam locks can be added, etc... I have all the books and a video(VHS format) if you need to borrow.

-larry

woodylarry

New User
Larry
I'll dig it out. Have no way to view it so I can't remember whats there but you may borrow it. I'll post once i find it and we can make arrangements to get it to you.

Larry

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The info/review at Wayne's link is spot on. The D1258R can be upgraded to a D4. I lifted the post below from an old 2004 SMC thread so the prices may be off. By the way, the Leigh D4 manual is generally considered the best manual of any kind in the WW industry.

"I have a D4 Leigh Jig which I hope to start using this weekend and hence, was interested in your post. I checked my literature and the internet and both Jim and Charles above were right on.

Leigh has 3 older models the D1258R-24 being one of them. They can be upgraded to the latest model by:

- Leigh Cam-Action Speed-Clamps .... $35.00
- D4 Side Stops and Scales ............. $23.00 & $40.00

Additionally,

- Leigh User Guide ......................... $12.00
- D4 Dovetail Jig Instructional Video .. $20.00"

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I did all the upgrades you mention here Alan. Overall they are worth it, but I think the side stops could have been better done.

garymuto

New User
Gary
I did all the upgrades you mention here Alan. Overall they are worth it, but I think the side stops could have been better done.

Thanks for that comment. I have the D3 (bought it from Mike Cal) and the only upgrade I was interested in was the newer side stops. It already had the cam locks.
I won't waste my money now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS