Lathe Center Height Solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I considered all of the options, especially yours Dave O (I didn't want to come up with all that cash for the difference), and a platform is what I came up with. It is 6 3/4" tall and puts me at a very comfortable working height. Now all that's left to do is learn to turn. Please excuse the dirty floor.

Attachments

• shop tools.jpg
    shop tools.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 177

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looks good to me Dino!
Large enough for you to move about, small enough to be moved, and cheap :icon_thum

:eusa_thin But I think we're going to have to drop your Sanitation Rating to 97% :lol:

Roger

Last edited:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Looks like a good solution

A question for the masses though ... why is that lathe so dang tall? :eusa_thin

DavidF

New User
David
Looks like a good solution

A question for the masses though ... why is that lathe so dang tall? :eusa_thin

Could it be that in most industrial settings that I have seen, the operator stands on a "Duck Board" similar to Dino's creation, but slatted to allow cutting fluid, swarf or in this case wood shavings to drop through?

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
As nice as it is, I still think it is a safety hazard and you should have cut the hole in the floor that I told you to do ...

Best of luck in using your new tool. Warning! Turning can be addictive and hazardous to your health. :lol:

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Dino, I can't believe how messy you've let your shop get:rolf: Seriously, you're putting most of us to shame. BTW nice lathe and I'm like everybody else why so high? In any case looks like you've got the problem solved.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Nice platform. Looks like its high enough to keep you from drowning in the drool that is being generated here and flowing your way :rolf::rolf:. If you put a workbench behind it it will keep you from stepping back off it inadvertently, as well as provide a place for tools and measuring devices. If it were me, I would want it at least buttock high when I was standing on the platform. So, when you gonna hook the DC up to it?:-D:-D

Go

striker

New User
Stephen
Dino,

Your floor board looks like a very nice solution to your issue. If I may, I would like to make a minor comment in the interest of safety. While turning your attention will probably be concentrated on your work and not necessarily on your footing. If your feet (weight) work toward an overhung edges the board may tip up and you go %$# over tea kettle.

I mite be totally off base with my observations but at 6'2" & on the wrong side of 300 lbs. I've made footings do things that would leave Newton scratching his head.

PS. You have a beautiful shop with first class equipment!

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS