Lathe advice sought... UPDATE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Re: Lathe advice sought...

Sorry Jim, I thought you ment he didn't need a parting tool :). I agree you don't need to spend big bucks on one. In fact I made one out of an old planer blade.
Salem

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User

Many thanks to all for the feedback, please keep it coming!

Phil, thanks for the advice via the PM; the Penn State that I'm looking at actually has more HP than the Grizz, and is variable speed to boot, even though it is in a smaller package.

Jerry and Woodartz - that PM 3520 sure is a nice looking unit - definitely top of the line and thanks for the referral. Right now, I'm sorta "dipping my toe into the water" so to speak regarding turning, and I don't really want to drop 3 - 4K on something that may sit unused a great deal of the time. That's one of the reasons why the Penn State unit is so attractive - it's small yet powerful, and I won't have to invest a significant amount in a tool that may gather a lot of dust!

Salem, that Delta 46-460 looks interesting. FWW rated it as "best overall" in the same review as the Penn State (which was rated as "best value); however they showed it's street price as $750 versus $480.00 for the Penn State with the extension. The Delta is reversable though (the Penn State is not), which is a factor in it's favor. However, with the bed extension it is about $220. more than the Penn State. One question that's in my mind is if having a reversible feature is worth the extra $220.00?

Jim / Mike / Gary / Salem, et al: As always, thanks for the thoughtful advice. Right now, I guess that I'm vascillating between the Penn State and the Delta... It looks like they include pretty much the same accessories with them; just more $ for the Delta. I think that I have a 30% off coupon code for the Penn State though...

How important is reverse on a wood lathe?

Scott----------the reverse on a lathe is a lot like 4WD on a vehicle--nice to have if you need it. The variable speed in much more beneficial IMHO. The other factor is total weight to reduce vibration while in use. Like most other equipment, how you intend to use it dictates how much "power" you need.

I had a craftsman 12" lathe bought in the 70's---used it (or played with it) for 30+ years and it was slap worn out. I went to the PM 3520 after thinking it over and looking at lathes for 2 or 3 years. I do not regret it, for the first time I could chuck up the material and go to work on it without excessive vibration, I did not have to worry about not having enough power, I was not restricted to 4 predetermined speeds and I was able to remount the piece if needed and it still turn true. I am a happy camper.

Not sure there is a definite "answer" to which lathe. Define your needs/wants and chose from what is available to meet the criteria. Good luck with it.

I rest my case!!! :gar-La;

Jerry

Nate Davey

New User
Nate

My dad has the Turncrafter Commander and loves it.

As to a large lathe being less precise, I would have to disagree if you bought quality. On the contrary a larger lathe can be more precise as it is heavier and less prone to vibration during turning. You and do any size of work on a large lathe, but can only do small things on a small lathe. The caveat to that is, obviously, a large lathe takes up more space. With some simple projects you can make a bench top for it and it becomes a second work bench.

You can turn most things between center, as already state, but a chuck sure is handy. The Nova G-3 is not expensive and comes with a lot of jaws.

As to tools. One of the Benjamin's Best tools sets, from PSI, are not bad and very inexpensive. They allow you to do most projects and allow you to lear sharpening with out grinding away more expensive steel.

I started with a Turncrafter VS Pro. A nice little lathe but, knowing what I know now, I would go full size had I to do it over again. However the PSI package deals are good value and set you up well.

Good luck and be aware, it's a slippery slope.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member

Scott Welcome to the darkside~
I know you're not really a new convert to round but I love saying that!!
You can turn almost anything with nothing but the drive center/ tailstock, and faceplate that comes with almost every lathe. There are chucks that make things easier. For a long time I turned bowls on a faceplate and just parted them off and dealt with the bottoms as best I could. You can turn a jam chuck from the piece you part off from (a revelation I never knew of for too long). You can make some great chucks from scrap - donut chuck, large cole jaw chucks, etc.
Since I got the larger Jet I bought a 4 jaw chuck and made life a lot easier but none of it is a necessity really.
A basic turning set is a good place to start. There are tools seldom used and one I still don't know what in the heck you'd do with except defend yourself from wood shop attackers... I can envision Rambo grinning ear to ear after finding one. With basic metal working skills you could easily modify some of them or make some of your own once you see your need. Craig Jackson makes the easy rougher - I can't say enough about what a great tool that is. Almost no learning curve and makes turning much more pleasant especially for a new turner. For around the hundred dollar mark they aren't cheap, - or outrageous - compare to a good quality roughing gouge and they are pretty reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS