Lathe advice sought... UPDATE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I'm thinking about "going over to the dark side" and adding a small wood lathe to my shop repetoire. FWW recently did a head to head comparison of several small/mid size lathes, and the Penn State Turncrafter Commander (with bed extension) caught my eye. I like the power (1 hp), relatively small size, it's variable speed and appears well suited for doing general shop lathe work w/o being either too small(ie underpowered) or too large (bulky and not precise). It seems priced well (around $500.00), and has a good reputation.

The advice that I'm seeking is this: What accessories are considered to be a "must have" for a lathe? I would presume some assortment of tooling, but what about chucks, etc? I don't foresee turning any bowls, so a vacuum chuck is probably not needed, but more likely things such as tool handles (probably the primary use), spindles, legs, etc.

Thanks much.

Scott

12/29/10 UPDATE BELOW!

The Slippery Slope has commenced! I brought home an "as-new" Delta 46-460 tonight thanks to a referral from NCWW member Shamrock! The package even included a set of Wood River turning tools, a pen making kit (mandrell, etc), some turning books and additional tooling! I'll have to see if I can hire Alex to teach me how to use it (or trade him some wood in exchange for tutoring!) All that I need to do is order the extension kit and I'll have a really nice package.

The seller is a super nice fellow named Tom; he's retired military and a great guy to work with. He has a brand new Porter Cable Drill Press and Band saw still for sale, including some nice rolling stands, in case anybody is looking for something along those lines. Check out his post on the Raleigh Craigslist for more info.

I know... no pix, didn't happen, so here is the proof!

Delta_lathe1.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Re: Lathe advice sought...

All of those can be turned between centers. You may want an assortment of live centers, a small 4 jaw chuck can be useful for turning handles, a set of Sorby turning tools will cover nearly all spindle jobs and some narrow rolls of sandpaper in 100, 150, 220 and maybe 300 will be useful. If you won't be turning bowls the tool list is much smaller.

eyekode

New User
Salem

Scott,
I have not heard any user reports from the penn state lathe. But I have seen many glowing reports for the delta 46-460. It only lists for 100$ more and you can find it pretty often for 10% off.

As for tooling I picked up this http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-wood-lathe-chisel-set-47066.html
After which I bought a Thompson tools bowl gouge (which is by most accounts one of the best). The HF's are not great but well worth the cost and they give you all the things you need to get started:
1) parting tool
2) 3/8 spindle gouge (or smaller)
3) 3/4 roughing gouge
4) 3/4" skew
5) Other chisels to regrind for fun :)

I replaced the spindle gouge with an unhanded Sorby pretty quickly. All the rest are fine and I use them often.

Another set that gets recommended is this one: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXWM1007.html . They are supposedly a great value (I have not used one yet).

Other things I think you will need:
1) wolverine or similar jig for grinding (you can make one of these, I made one out of wood but you could do metal. But either way the wolverine is worth the cost IMHO).
2) grinder with frillable wheels (which I assume you have covered)
3) steb drive (I just like this better than the 4 prong drives)
4) calipers (outside at least, ideally 3+ pairs)
5) 4 jaw scroll chuck. Buy something like the Nova G3 (http://www.amazon.com/WOODLATHE-CHU...CDZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293305486&sr=8-1) 115$ (maybe look for the Delta version that includes a screw so you can use the lathe in reverse?).

Oh, and you will need some wood. Probably NOT oak to start with :).
Merry Christmas!
Salem

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Uhm, seems awful small for your shop :p

I know you didn't ask, but that full sized harbor freight lathe is one fantastic value. Plenty written on it, so I won't repeat.

As I recall you have the Tormak. They offer a turning tool attachment kit and video.

You will really benefit from a small chuck. The Barracuda from Penn State seems to do a good job for many folks. Same with the Woodcraft Pinnacle.

One area I'd not skimp on is a good roughing gouge and a good skew. They are really critical for the kind of work you mentioned. For the skew, check out Alan Lacer's DVD's. They really helped me get into and even coming to enjoy the use of the skew.

IMHO, parting tools are less critical and things like fingernail gouges and scrapers fall into more specialized use.

While it might not at first glance seem critical, I'd look for 1" x 8tpi spindle on the lathe arbor. There are a lot of sizes, but most common seem to be the 1x8. If you aspire to bigger, the 1 1/4 x 8 is a good standard. The lathe I built is 1 1/2 x 8 and it really limited the accessory options (without adding lots of adapters).

Jim

eyekode

New User
Salem

Jim, I am going to have to disagree on a couple points :). I think a parting tool is critical for sizing spindles and well... for parting. Many people say not to buy a set of turning tools. And for the most part I agree because typically you won't need/use most of the tools in the set so it is a waste of money. But the HF set costs less than a single high end turning tool. It includes all the basic tools you need for spindle turning and those extra tools that you won't use can be reground to something that fits how you work (once you figure that out :)).

Also I would NOT buy the HF lathe. I have the Jet version. And although it is not a bad lathe I am already considering a different/new lathe after less than 1 year of turning.

By the way, where is the thread on your lathe build?!? Sounds cool!
Salem

NCTurner

New User
Gary

Scott, I will have to agree with Salem, the 46-460 has gotten GREAT reviews. As far as tooling We can get you fixed up pretty easily, you have the machines required to make alot of it yourself, and I've a slew of tricks for cheap, but quality tools. Call to dicuss.

Last edited:

manfre

New User
Manfre

I have the delta 46-455 (no variable speed) and it's nice. Belt changing is easy. It runs smoothly and is very quiet.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

I have to agree on skipping the upgrades. You will want to do larger work and the larger lathe is not less accurate, it is more accurate, smoother and easier to work with.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

The "Monster Lathe" thread is here: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11301

Who doesn't need a 40" swing......

On my opinion on the parting tool, I forgot to say I don't think its as critical to spend big bucks on one upfront. The abuse and heavy work done with roughing gouges lends itself to a big honking tool. Skew's can do both heavy and delicate work, for which I'm sold on a good one.

Just for clarity, the Harbor Freight I had in mind is the 12" Central Machinery 34706

While its not the best thing money can buy, I'd sure consider it over a midi (at twice the price) for starting out. At $250 new (more like $225 with coupons), you get a decent lathe. Plus, they are easy to resell without taking a big hit.

I am biased though, as I went through the new delta midi/outgrew a year later situation.

Jim

Jim, I am going to have to disagree on a couple points :). I think a parting tool is critical for sizing spindles and well... for parting. Many people say not to buy a set of turning tools. And for the most part I agree because typically you won't need/use most of the tools in the set so it is a waste of money. But the HF set costs less than a single high end turning tool. It includes all the basic tools you need for spindle turning and those extra tools that you won't use can be reground to something that fits how you work (once you figure that out :)).

Also I would NOT buy the HF lathe. I have the Jet version. And although it is not a bad lathe I am already considering a different/new lathe after less than 1 year of turning.

By the way, where is the thread on your lathe build?!? Sounds cool!
Salem

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Many thanks to all for the feedback, please keep it coming!

Re the "size" of the lathe, I neglected to mention that I already own an old South Bend 16" x 8' metal lathe, and am thinking of modifying it for wood use. Thus, I'm not focusing on larger lathes, but something small yet powerful for using with most shop related work.

I just can't bring myself to buy anything electrical from Harbor Freight; I've been burned 100% on every electrical device that I purchased there, and kept the last one ($300.00 loss) solely to remind me if I'm ever tempted... I'm not....

Phil, thanks for the advice via the PM; the Penn State that I'm looking at actually has more HP than the Grizz, and is variable speed to boot, even though it is in a smaller package.

Jerry and Woodartz - that PM 3520 sure is a nice looking unit - definitely top of the line and thanks for the referral. Right now, I'm sorta "dipping my toe into the water" so to speak regarding turning, and I don't really want to drop 3 - 4K on something that may sit unused a great deal of the time. That's one of the reasons why the Penn State unit is so attractive - it's small yet powerful, and I won't have to invest a significant amount in a tool that may gather a lot of dust!

Salem, that Delta 46-460 looks interesting. FWW rated it as "best overall" in the same review as the Penn State (which was rated as "best value); however they showed it's street price as $750 versus $480.00 for the Penn State with the extension. The Delta is reversable though (the Penn State is not), which is a factor in it's favor. However, with the bed extension it is about $220. more than the Penn State. One question that's in my mind is if having a reversible feature is worth the extra $220.00?

Jim / Mike / Gary / Salem, et al: As always, thanks for the thoughtful advice. Right now, I guess that I'm vascillating between the Penn State and the Delta... It looks like they include pretty much the same accessories with them; just more $ for the Delta. I think that I have a 30% off coupon code for the Penn State though...

How important is reverse on a wood lathe?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

reverse is a great feature for larger items but for spindles not really IMO. I think the delta is a bit heavier and that does make it more stable. so far as tooling is concerned I recommend a cheap set to get started. You will find that some tools get used a lot and some not at all. replace the ones you use with good ones and regrind the ones you don't for specialty stuff. Metal lathes don't make great wood lathes but they can be made serviceable. remember..... you can turn small on a big lathe but you cant turn big on a small one. YMMV of coarse.:icon_thum

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

How important is reverse on a wood lathe?
I can't see any advantage to reversing a wood lathe unless you have a jam nut or set screw on your chuck. Without that, you're likely to unwind a chuck. Most lathe spindle drivers are also set up for CCW rotation. For large bowls and such you would be able to see the turning face but you'd need a RH bowl gouge to do anything. I usually don't look at the face being cut anyways, but at the profile opposite the cut (over the top).
As for a metal lathe, that's a different story, but only if you have a reversing lever on the feed box. I have a CM metal lathe with a reversing motor, but the feed box doesn't reverse, so LH threads are out of the question.:BangHead:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

I can't see any advantage to reversing a wood lathe unless you have a jam nut or set screw on your chuck. Without that, you're likely to unwind a chuck. Most lathe spindle drivers are also set up for CCW rotation. For large bowls and such you would be able to see the turning face but you'd need a RH bowl gouge to do anything. I usually don't look at the face being cut anyways, but at the profile opposite the cut (over the top).
As for a metal lathe, that's a different story, but only if you have a reversing lever on the feed box. I have a CM metal lathe with a reversing motor, but the feed box doesn't reverse, so LH threads are out of the question.:BangHead:

reverse is used mostly for sanding. not realy that important but it is a nicety... My face plates have set screws so in theory I could [and have] turn in reverse but it is very rare and kinda awkward...:rotflm:

manfre

New User
Manfre

I used ZSAVE30 to get $30 off an order I placed at PSI last night.

eyekode

New User
Salem

Salem, that Delta 46-460 looks interesting. FWW rated it as "best overall" in the same review as the Penn State (which was rated as "best value); however they showed it's street price as $750 versus $480.00 for the Penn State with the extension. The Delta is reversable though (the Penn State is not), which is a factor in it's favor. However, with the bed extension it is about $220. more than the Penn State. One question that's in my mind is if having a reversible feature is worth the extra $220.00?

I have been following lathe reviews for a while. Before delta came out with the 46-460 there really was only one suggestion: the Jet VS midi. After the Delta came out many people who owned the Jet said they prefered the Delta in most every way. The Penn state is new this year I believe. I have yet to see it reviewed by an individual.

The actual cost of the Delta is typically 600$. And once every other month or so I see a 10% off sale. And if you decide to sell it will probably hold more of it's value.

That being said if the difference really is 220$ it would be a really tough decision. By the way do you really need the bed extensions?

Anyway, have fun and let me know if I can help :).
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS