Latest Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
A friend of my wife is having a baby. She asked if I would build her a high chair. Now since I would like to stay semi-healthy I said "Sure, I'll build you a high chair". (LOML owns a gym and she can beat me up!) So I found some plans at motherearth.com, ordered some hardware at rockler.com and drug out some oak that I had scavenged from a trash pile that just happened to belong to the uncle of my wife's friend. Let's make this a family affair

Now seeing that this high chair is built like a pyramid, nothing is at 90°. I also wanted to carve the tray out of a solid piece of oak or at least a large glue up. This thing filled the back of my mind for a couple of months but I finished it the weekend before her shower. I'm having trouble posting a picture so here's the link to oak high chair.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=20864&cat=500&ppuser=508

I spend a lot of time in the Post Office shipping engraving plates to my clients. One day one of the clerks asked what woodworking projects I was working on. I opened my mouth and ranted about this high chair with no 90° angles and a craved tray. She instantly asked if I could build her one but without the tray. Not wanting her to go postal I said "Sure, I'll build you a high chair". (Lord, I need to grow a backbone.)

Remembering all those compound miters and hand cut dovetails I did on the first high chair I tread down a different path for High Chair Mark II. Less than a 1/2 sheet of 3/4" baltic birch plywood, Miller dowels and a router. Samuel Colt may have made all men equal but Mr. Porter and Mr. Cable brought out the woodworker in the chosen few. Cut out the first side, use it for a templet to make the second side, use the scrap for the seat, back and stretchers. Less than 2 Saturdays in the shop and it was done. Here's the link to High Chair Mark II.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=20863&cat=500&ppuser=508

May all your woodworking experiences be happy ones!

Rick Doby

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rick both of them are awesome work.
I like the more traditional look of the first -

Oak_High_Chair.jpg

And the more modern Scandinavian look of the second -

High_Chair_Mark_II.JPG

It's a shame to know that they both will soon be gunked up with baby food residue :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Rick, They are nice looking high chairs. The new mother will be happy to get them. The oak made a beautiful chair. Great job.

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nice Rick, much better looking than the chromed steel and plastic monstrosities from years ago.:wsmile:

cskipper

Cathy
They are great! You only need to get a backbone when agreeing to make somthing for someone else is if you didn't ask for enough money!:lol:

DavidF

New User
David
Both really nice! you can see where the time is in the first one, but I actually like the second one more. I think the higher back might be more comfy too.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Very nice Rick!

I think those are the first high chairs I've seen on here. Very impressive and I'm sure they'll last forever too. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Trent

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great work on the chairs, Rick!!!

I am kinda partial to the one done in oak .....maybe with a back similar to the second.

All in all, I am sure that they will last through a couple of generations!!:wsmile:

Well done!

Wayne

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Rick,
great chairs,really like both of them.The oak one is very classic looking and the birch one reminds me of something that would be in Ikea.
As far as the backbone thing,I agree with whoever said you just need to ask for more money.The right/wrong person :widea:see's those chairs and you will be building them for a long time.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Great high chairs Rick. I think there's a place for each of them. The oak for a special friend or family member and the birch for everyone else!

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Thanks for the compliments guys.

The oak chair was built straight from a set of plans with some modifications to the joins. The baltic birch plywood chair was my own design using what I learned from the oak chair. Woodworking tends to be a learning experience.

Woodworking is a hobby for me so if I make enough on a project to cover materials and a few toys I'm OK.

Rick Doby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS