Latest Project Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejones

New User
Dave
I finally finished my next project. It's a combo Cookbook Shelf, Wine Rack, and Recipe Card organizer (custom-designed for SWMBO, of course). :gar-La;

The cabinet is made out of walnut, with dado and rabbit joinery and Red Oak drawer fronts and shelves for the wine rack. The drawer fronts were cut from a single board to keep the grain matched. Finish is "natural" danish oil followed by 2 coats of arm-r-seal for added protection against moisture as it is near the stove.

Cookbook_Rack_2.JPG

View image in gallery

It fits between the upper/lower cabinets in the kitchen and is freestanding, so we can relocate it if we ever desire. Here it is in action:

The drawers were made from BORG white board. I used a locking rabbit joint and a floating 1/4 in ply bottom. I rounded off the drawer fronts by hand using a chisel and then cleaned them up with sand paper. (Going for that hand-made, not-quite perfect look, which I achieved in abundance on this project!) :rolf:

Lots of firsts for me on this one (and lots of mistake along with them):

1) First time using walnut - I love the look of this stuff. I am definitely going to use it again! :icon_thum
2) First drawers - The locking rabbits were very easy to do on the table saw. Oriented the wrong way on the drawers for strength, but these will see very light duty anyway. I need to pay more attention to keeping them square when clamping too.
3) First time making dadoes with a router (actually, first time using my router) - I made a jig to make this easier, but made the jig base out of 3/4 ply and should have used thinner material. I ran out of plunge depth a couple of times and had to make a new jig. :BangHead:
4) First time patching a dado - oops, that was supposed to be a stopped dado! :BangHead:
4b) 2nd time patching a dado - %#$&!!! :BangHead:
5) First time re-sawing lumber - I cut a 5/4 piece down to make some thinner material. I had to use the table saw, then finish the cut by hand and clean up with a block plane. I really need (want) a bandsaw.

Thanks for looking!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work, Dave!:icon_thum:icon_thum

The unit really does seem to blend in well with the rest of the kitchen cabinets.:eusa_danc

Incorporating a wine rack sure does put that real estate to a practical use!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS