Latest Harpsichord Finished - Sapele and Chinoiserie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

For a while now, I've felt a need to get out of my comfort zone and build something new and different - so breaking away from totally painted instruments is something I've wanted to do. I have seen some instruments decorated with chinoiserie and thought we might give it a go. It took a while to convince my wife, Sandy, to try her hand at this form of decoration - and she finally agreed.

The platform stand and bench are made from Sapele. The interior keywell (surrounding the keyboard) is veneered with Sapele veneer. All of the Sapele is finished with BioPoly NT - a finish that was highly recommended by Matt Zettl, and when Matt speaks, I listen. His furniture pieces are true works of art and his finishes nothing less than impeccable. Thanks, Matt, for your advice and inspiration.

640.jpg

640-480.jpg

FRONT.jpg

FRONTVIEW1-640X480.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

lid.jpg

IMG_3348 (2).jpg

KEYBOARD.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Ernie

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
To all those who wonder, and I have been there. Yes, his shop looks like a surgery operating room, as it must for him to do surgery on the wood.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Incredible as always. Your talent and attention to detail amaze me.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Wow, Ernie. Another truly amazing work of art. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Superb Ernie, simply superb! And for a "beginner" at this form of decoration, your wife deserves kudos as well! WOW!

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Ernie,

Although each new piece no longer surprises me as far as the creativity and craftsmanship is concerned, I am still amazed. I love the simplicity and the elegance of this instrument, and of course I really love the naturally finished sapele. :wink_smil It goes without saying that Sandy's skill and artistry is as astounding. The two of you make a formidable team. Great work.

Matt

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
Fantastic work and a great choice of wood. I'm glad to see you did not stain the sapele. The natural color of the wood really comes through.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Many thanks to all for your kind remarks. Coming from fellow woodworkers, they mean a lot to us. My wife, who has less ego than anyone I know, honestly believes she has no talent. I know this project has done a lot for her self confidence and your comments are most appreciated.

Dennis: My neighbor, the recording engineer, is off on his boat headed for parts unknown. When he returns, we'll try to do some recording and I'll post some sound files.

Joe: It's only work if you don't like doing it. I've been fortunate to have had three separate careers (teacher, piano rebuilder, harpsichord maker) that I loved. The only time I'm not happy is when I'm not 'working'.

Matt: Special thanks to you for your support and advice. The BioPoly NT worked out great. Sandy and I owe you a visit - let's do that before too much more time passes.

Matt F: Actually, the sapele was slightly tinted. The BioPoly finish comes clear or tinted. I used a slight brown tint. The fact that it doesn't looked stained is one of the reasons I love this product.

Ernie

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Ernie, once again that is absolutely amazing. Very very beautiful. I think the darker wood makes a completely different look than that of the first harpsichord you showed us. I assume this was for a client and already has a home it will be headed to??

Tom

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Ernie, that may be part woodworking, but it's mostly art!! Beautiful! Kudo's to you and the wife!! :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS