Latest Harpsichord finished... I'm getting too old for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

I think I may be getting too old for this. Just completed my latest harpsichord project – a big, double manual instrument sitting on a Louis XVI cabriole table stand. It is a little over 7 feet long by 39 inches wide at the front end. I started building last December and just finished this week – six and a half months of pure fun mixed with mind-numbing repetition. There are three sets of strings (62 strings per set) so everything that has to do with the playing action has to be done 186 times – 186 string loops to hand tie, 186 tuning pins to coil music wire onto, 186 register slots to cut (thank you Alan in Little Washington for your wonderful jig), 186 jacks to install, 186 plectra to voice, etc, etc, - you get the picture.

Here’s a few photos of the completed instrument.

DOUBLECASE1.jpg

DOUBLECASE2.jpg

DOUBLECASE3.jpg

DOUBLECASE4.jpg

The strings, jacks, registers, and tuning pins.

INTERIOR1.jpg

The keyboards

KEYBOARDS.jpg

Here’s a photo of part of my wife Sandy's soundboard painting.

SOUNDBOARD.jpg

The tuning pins and buff stop rail

TUNINGPINS.jpg

In short, double manual harpsichords are much more interesting to build due to the added complexity of the two keyboards. The upper keyboard slides forward and/or backwards. When pushed forward, it is coupled with the lower keyboard and its keys can be played from the lower keyboard. It looks like a player piano where the keys seem to play themselves. In fact, there are wooden connectors, called dogs, sticking up from the bottom keys. When the upper keyboard is pushed in, the ends of the upper keyboard keys are positioned directly over the dogs. When the bottom keyboard is played, the dogs push up on the underside of the upper keyboard keys to make them play as well. Here's a sketchup photo showing these dogs. (You'll have to enlarge the picture to see them).

DOGS.jpg

When the upper keyboard is pulled out to its forward position, the dogs miss the bottom of the upper keyboard keys and, therefore, the upper keyboard does not play. Of course each keyboard can be played manually - sometimes with one hand on the lower keyboard and the other hand on the upper. The two keyboards play different sets of strings so they don't have the same tone quality. By having two keyboards and three sets of strings along with a buff stop, there are 9 different tone qualities that can be produced - giving the player much more of a tonal variety than is possible on a single manual harpsichord.

Thanks for looking - I'm going to take a nap.

Ernie

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I've seen one and the 2d limitations of pictures don't do justice to Ernie's work. Love the color scheme and the reversed keyboard withe the white sharps/flats!

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Absolutely stunning. I can't imagine spending that much time on one project. They would be carrying me away in a white jacket:gar-La;

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
awesome work Ernie.:eusa_clap 6 1/2 monthes? It would take me 6 1/2 years and I work pretty fast.......edit to add..... mine would prolly sound like a jews harp from wally world!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome work again Ernie!!!!:eusa_clap

It will be displayed and enjoyed by many lucky people who come into contact with it. (The monogram is just soooo fitting and a tribute to the artist in you and your wife.

Wayne

b4man

New User
Barbara
Bravo.
I love telling people about you and your work and how very fortunate we are here to have you as a member!:eusa_clap

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Ernie, I don't know the right words to adequately express the awe in which I hold you. Simply amazing! :notworthy:

Bill

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow I did not think it would possible but you and your wife are still redefining perfection in harpsichords. Please tell me if you know how many people in the world can make such an instrument. I would guess very few and you are at the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS