Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I would then say raffle, minimum number/cost per ticket to be determined by site pres/administrators, as you know what the costs are to run the site, but would separate into 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Max ticket cost would be $15 (3rd place to break even) IF you raffle off all three at once. Set raffle drawing (after sufficient entries) date/location and ask for independent observer volunteers to witness it.

Go

Also, A big Thank You to Tom Hintz and Kreg for their thoughts and generosity.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Not to put a damper on it, but would a raffle be legal?? I am in favor of it but have no idea of the legal ramifications in this state. If not, than a minimum bid would be in order for an auction.

Go
Mark are you curious about general legalities, or how a raffle might affect the status of the 501c3 rating of the corporation?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark are you curious about general legalities, or how a raffle might affect the status of the 501c3 rating of the corporation?

Jerrye: I am only concerned about the welfare of this site. If that means the 501c3 rating (which to me is just a number and I have no idea of the difference between it and a 401z3/29r/q5 or any other of the legal definitions that law people have laid on us to increase their income) so be it. IF it was not possible, I just wanted to raise the question so that it wouldn't have to come from Steve, who usually is saddled with the job of being the bearer of bad tidings. I am pleased that in this case, it is not so. When I was in FL, the state went after Church bingos after the state enacted a lottery 'cause they thought it would cut into their money, so I posed the question.

Go

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
That's great Steve! Thanks to the Kreg Tool Company and to Tom Hintz for his work to promote this site and seek this company. Terry:icon_thum

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome Kreg! And Thanks for the generous donation! I have a couple of Kreg tools as well. I like the idea of a raffle !

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Ok, so now thanks to DaveO, we know we are allowed only two raffles per fiscal year. So is this one of them? This is an interesting idea.

In theory, it would raise more money. BUT, I suspect that there will not be that many people who will buy tickets. Also, just a side note. If we can't find a way to do this electronically, then I have problem with it from an organizational point of view.

Also, there is another issue that is hard for me to define.

Personally, I would rather see someone who wants that table get a good deal on it rather than have the winner of a raffle who just wanted to make a donation, win it and then resell or give it away. I know that it sounds weird that I wouldn't want to absolutely maximize on this, but I also want to serve our members in the best way.

Anyway, before we get too carried away. let's give it a test. I'll add a poll to this thread.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Personally, I think the raffle is a great idea. Selling off something that was donated seems odd, but raffling it off seems fair. I think with some creative selling of tickets you could really have something there.

In my mind, it works like this ... members of NCWW could sell tickets to other woodworkers. That not only makes them NCWW-aware, but it also makes the pool of raffle tickets much larger. For instance, I am a member of Charlotte Woodworkers and about 90% of them don't even come to NCWW at all. This would be a great way to make them aware of the forum, get them out there, and raise mula.

Just my two cents ...

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I have thought about this to some degree, and have a few suggestions as to how to handle it electronically.

1. If all "tickets" are paid for via Paypal, then a unique transaction # is assigned to each payment. This # can act as the purchaser's raffle #.

2. As I originally stated and was echoed by many of my peers, set a ticket sales quota. This will ensure that enough chances are sold to iniate the raffle. This can be opened to non members of the site if we wanted to by providing a payment link.

3. The actual drawing can take place in a "public" arena by an independent party.

I have many more thoughts rolling around, but I think that should cover the jist of it.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I know that it sounds weird that I wouldn't want to absolutely maximize on this, but I also want to serve our members in the best way.
Yeah, what's wrong with you??? What's next, hosting a picnic for everyone in the spring? Sheesh.

Actually, I hadn't even thought about that. I'd buy a raffle ticket, but I don't really need another router table. No room in the shop. I'd just sell it, and pocket the money. Actually, I'd probably buy more tools with it :)

How about this: We auction it off, someone gets a good deal, and everyone who isn't interested in bidding on the table simply donates $10. These two are completely independent of course, but I'm applying the Dopeler effect: The phenomenon that stupid ideas look really smart if they come at you fast.

RayH

New User
Ray
YEAH KREG!!:eusa_clap
YEAH RAFFLE!!:eusa_clap
I have voted on a ticket amount, but a lesser amount per ticket, with a higher minimum number of tickets, would bring in more people. (I would buy more tickets) Hopefully this would equal or exceed the income from a higher ticket price.
My preference would be to find a payment system other than Paypal. I have nothing against them, I'm just not a Paypal user and think they probably take a cut off the top of all the charges.

Don't have any solutions, just my druthers.:dontknow:
Ray

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
YEAH KREG!!:eusa_clap
YEAH RAFFLE!!:eusa_clap
I have voted on a ticket amount, but a lesser amount per ticket, with a higher minimum number of tickets, would bring in more people. (I would buy more tickets) Hopefully this would equal or exceed the income from a higher ticket price.
My preference would be to find a payment system other than Paypal. I have nothing against them, I'm just not a Paypal user and think they probably take a cut off the top of all the charges.

Don't have any solutions, just my druthers.:dontknow:
Ray
Just a couple of points about PayPal.

Your don't have to have a PP account, you can use a credit card or even electronic check to make payments.

All online payment services have charges. PP's fees are very good and they don't require us to pay a monthly fee. So, I can promise that if they are not the best, they are close to it.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
The low response stuns me. I was thinking raffle, members only but unless the reponse is much greater than the polls show I say do whatever makes the site the most money.

MikeH

New User
Mike
The low response stuns me. I was thinking raffle, members only but unless the reponse is much greater than the polls show I say do whatever makes the site the most money.

I'm surprised too. I thought for sure there would be more response. Maybe we should put an announcement on the home page for everyone to look at the thread?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
The response is still to early. Need to wait a few days to get more people to see the polls. It is early on Sunday. Tuesday morning will give the whole story.

However, it does not and will not surprise me if the response is not what most of you expect. I've been watching people react to money spending on or through this site for over 3 years. The response is never what you would expect. Also, money is tight AND it is the gift giving season. People will and should take care of the family's needs first.

Sully

New User
jay
I'm late to the thread also, but I think a raffle is a good idea--if the logistics are manageable. By my math it looks like the number of people who have voted in the poll totals to around $700 already.

Thanks to Tom H and Kreg for making this happen!

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS