Kobra test run #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Second test run of the Kobra system!
Hi all, here are a few pic's of the how the second test run went with my new toy. I have turned a few forms this large free hand and found that it took all I had to hollow out a project that was this large and deep. The Vase is 13 1/2" tall with the inside being hollowed out to just over 12 1/2" deep. It is another piece of maple with very nice grain. Using the Kobra to hollow this vase was very easy and smooth as well as much faster than I'm able to achieve free hand. I'm able to get a fairly smooth cut using the cutter in the Kobra but still used a large free hand bar with a scraper to smooth the inside after I finished hollowing with the Kobra. It only took one light pass to smooth it up with my large home made scraper bar. I'm going to make a scraper head to attach to the Kobra in the future. The boring bar is drilled to accept what looks to be 1/2" dia stock for holding the bits. It will be easy to make a short scraper attachment to mount in it. Again I had zero flex or chatter with the unit even down to 12 1/2" deep. I was hollowing fairly aggressively with the cutter down in the bottom of the vase and dug the bit in one time and stopped my 2 HP lathe in it's tracks. The bar didn't flex or even move. If I had done this free hand I would have felt it under my arm for a week. The system is solid as a rock. This is the size projects I wanted to be able to do with out being beat up doing them free hand and all I can say is WOW this unit makes it so easy. Here are some pic's of todays project. From start to finish it took under 2 hours to finish this project up including cutting the blank out.
Turn Safe Everyone,
Jack
Blank cut:
DSC00247.jpg

Blank Mounted and ready to be roughed out:
DSC00248.jpg

Roughed out to shape:
DSC00249.jpg

Kobra used to hollow:
DSC00252.jpg

My ugly face with the vase ready to put in a bag for drying:
DSC00256.jpg

One of the Kobra hollowing tips:
DSC00251.jpg

Rob

New User
Rob
So far I like what I see with this tool, but with their back order, and the fact their taking the summer off and will re-start taking orders in the fall, I'll have to see what happens when I'm ready to order one.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Thanks Jack.
Two of my last three hf's evolved into funnels. I like the laser aspect. (why is that one last pass usually a mistake??)
That looks like a sturdy well built unit, (unlike the first one I ever saw... You could rack it with moderate hand pressure).

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks guy's. I know this unit is expensive and has a long wait to get one to your shop, but it is worth it in my opinion. I will keep everyone posted on my opinion of it the more I use it. It is definitely doing everything I wanted it to this point. Jerry contacted me about a scraper tip they have and I'm getting one as soon as they have it ready. It should make the finial pass easier than doing it free hand.
Thanks again,
Jack
P.S. CaptnA if you are ever over my way give me a call and I will let you try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS