Knife storage box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is a box for storing a collection of Case Brand pocketknives.

Main wood is Eastern Red Cedar from jeff..., accent panel is Black Walnut from jeff... and sliced on RDoby's bandsaw. The bottom is 1/4 inch Baltic Birch Plywood from Sawduster and lined with sheet cork.

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3144.JPG

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Re: Man Box

That's a nice knife box, Mike. What really makes it special is the "community effort" created by all the NCWWers who contributed the wood!
Does this site ROCK or what???

Keep up the great work!

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Very nice work Mike. I really like how you worked with the grain/figure of the Walnut on the top, that really shows attention to the details.
The use of the miter key for the tray support is just brilliant. Not only does it add a element of interest on the outside of the box, it serves a functional purpose on the inside.
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

Nice job Mike, I really like the way that you used the corner splines to seperate the inner compartments, it's a really cool idea.:icon_thum

Jimmy:mrgreen:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

Great looking box, I like the contrasting woods. Nice clean construction. That says something when working with ERC as I am finding out that it ain't that easy to work with.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

That looks great Mike! :notworthy: Like the others have said, I really like the contrast/design/functionality (is that a word?). :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Trent :eek:ccasion1

J

jeff...

You smell all pretty now don't you :gar-La;? My wife likes it when I cut ERC says I smell nice. Neat idea with the reversed miter key, looks like it belongs there, plus serves as a support for the tray. You really should pat yourself on back that's one nice man box. ERC is one of the more difficult woods to work with - it splits when it wants too :roll:. But looks like you mastered the wood instead of the wood mastering you... :thumbs_up

I always cringe when I sell cedar. People think you can shoot it with a brad nailer :slap: you got to grind the sharpness off the nail tips then run the nails over a bar of soap a few times - if you expect to fasten without spliting. Irish Spring seems to work the best.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

I hate it!

I have 20-40 feet of ERC and when that's gone I hope I never see another piece of it. :rotflm:

It splits, it gouges, it dents, it's very weird to finish, It wont take glue unless you wipe it with Naptha first. It is just about the hardest wood to make something with. I think lining closets and chests are the best uses for it and I'm not sure the best way to attach that lining.

The corner shelf was an inspiration, I was trying to figure out how to make the keyed joints and building a jig and kept thinking "I better be careful or I'll go right through and have a bit of key on the inside". Then the picture just popped in my head of the tray sitting on the little shelf.

I think it a clean, simple, elegant solution to the other problem I was thinking about at the time. How in the heck can I make the tray sit level with the top of the box without wasting valuable real estate inside the box? :icon_thum

So happy that someone noticed the community connections!

J

jeff...

I hate it!

I have 20-40 feet of ERC and when that's gone I hope I never see another piece of it. :rotflm:

It splits, it gouges, it dents, it's very weird to finish, It wont take glue unless you wipe it with Naptha first. It is just about the hardest wood to make something with. I think lining closets and chests are the best uses for it and I'm not sure the best way to attach that lining.

The corner shelf was an inspiration, I was trying to figure out how to make the keyed joints and building a jig and kept thinking "I better be careful or I'll go right through and have a bit of key on the inside". Then the picture just popped in my head of the tray sitting on the little shelf.

I think it a clean, simple, elegant solution to the other problem I was thinking about at the time. How in the heck can I make the tray sit level with the top of the box without wasting valuable real estate inside the box? :icon_thum

So happy that someone noticed the community connections!

Yep your right on the naphtha, a little acetone also works just as well to. Also helps to thin down some yellow glue with water and spear a little on let it dry before you do your real glue up - it's all that smelly oil in the wood that makes it hard to glue. You have to admit it sure is a nice looking wood once you figure out how to get it to stay together.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes

When I saw 'Man Box', I thought you made a casket :rotflm:

this is much better, imo! :) ...looks good, Mike!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

Good work, Mike. For the cigar officianado, they can hide the Cubans in the secret compartment.

welldigger

New User
Scott

nice work Mike, Great community effort! I gotta few nice ol' Case knives ya could bum to fill it with!!! LOL!!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

I'll take a free knife anytime!

I don't have a collection but I do have a drawer full of users, all of them are good working knives and not worth taking two quick looks.

This is for a co-worker who has a sho-nuff-fo-real collection, I delivered the box to him today and he was grinning so I guess he's happy. He is putting just his 40 bestest, oldest Case knives in it and then it goes in his safe.

That's why I lined the bottom with cork instead of velvet or felt. The cork shouldn't encourage rust as much as cloth would.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, it's the next day already and this morning my friend brought me pictures of his knives in the box I made for him.

case001.jpg

case002.jpg

Some of these are from the 60s, some are limited edition and some prototypes.
Any one of them is worth all my knives put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS