Kauri toothpick holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
I spent most of today, and in-between choice cuss words, I managed to get this piece turned. Kauri is that stuff from New Zealand that has been buried in the peat for 40,000-50,000 years. It is mined and then specially kiln dried. I have done some inlay work with it, but this is the first I tried to turn something. The outside turned nicely, but the inside? I drilled it slowly with a forsner bit. I then tried to sand it down on the inside, and it kept flaking off, like dry layers on the outside of an onion. I tried the typical steps from coarse, up to 2000 grit. I tried steel wool, i tried forward and backward. I tried a new inner curve scraper. I finally just gave up and called it 'good enough'. As it is now filled with toothpicks, and it is a gift....I will just have to live with it.

As the wood is plain, and it works at the level of somewhere between pine and a stiff balsa wood, I decided I had to make a novelty piece out of it. The bung hole for the miniature 'whiskey barrel' is a stub of a walnut dowel. The wire scorch marks were also tough to do. I had to speed the lathe up to about 750, and it smoked, but it would not lay down a nice burn line.

I also took the added step of making a little scorch mark on the outer rim of the bung hole before putting in the walnut plug. The plug also sits about a half-millimeter above the plane of the barrel wall.

No more Kauri turning for me!

Dave Peterson

kauritp.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now that is pretty cool!

Love the shape and I am sure that it will draw many positive comments.

Well done!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS