It's been about 3 years since...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I last turned a pen. Made a large lot of them for my cousins wedding and just got burnt out on pen making. Fast forward 3 years and a friend requests that I make her some to give as gifts for Christmas. I guess it's like riding a bike, you don't ever forget how. But you do get a lot slower, it took 4 hours to make these 2 pens.

Copy_of_12-19-2010_002.JPG

On the left is a double dyed Box Elder burl chrome Euro with a custom curly Sycamore center band. And on the right is a Amboynia burl, with Amboynia sapwood and credit card center band. Both finished with CA.
Sorry for the poor picture, my photo-cube has been lent out due to lack of personal use.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a wonderful New Years to all!!!

Dave:)

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Wow! Those look beautiful; beautiful grain patterns and great finish on both. I really like the custom center bands--it's the first time I have ever seen them.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
:saw:

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
You still got it! Dave taught me how to turn pens a long while ago. Of course I still have that demo pn he gifted me that day. Great work then and now.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:icon_thum

Its like that famous saying, "its like falling off a horse".

Jim

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
So have you been spinning anything else, or is this the first in 3 yrs? Glad to see you makin some sawdust!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
You certainly haven't lost the touch, DaveO!!!!

I too learned how to turn pens from your great pointers.

Where ya been!!????

I miss seeing your WIP's and more of your fine work.

Don;t be such a stranger around these parts. We miss your wit and talent!!!:wsmile:

The pens are real perty!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
So have you been spinning anything else, or is this the first in 3 yrs? Glad to see you makin some sawdust!

Gary I've turned many a bowl and built several pieces of furniture. I just haven't had the desire for pens in a while.
I'm glad to see the many that I have helped into the ways of pen turning. It is fun and gratifying. But when it becomes production work my interest fades.

Dave:)

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Wow Dave,

Those are Beautiful~! Wonderful job for sure~!

You said you used a credit card for part of the center band??? Did you just cut a square piece a glue it to your blank? That is very interesting indeed.

Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas to you and your Family~!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Very nice DaveO!
I really like the cc highlight. I've used some alternatives but never thought of a cc. Lord knows we get enough we need something to do with them!
You certainly haven't lost your touch.
I agree, anytime I make several of most things I get over it for quite a while.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Guess it hasn't been that long since you've posted any work, but it sure does seem like it. Anyway great to hear from ya and they sure are some classy pens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS