IT IS HERE. The NCWW 2010 Calendar Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well Guys and Girls. It is time to show off your woodworking and photo skills. Please grab your cameras, light meters, photo booth and start a clicking.

Please pay very close attention to the rules concerning photo sizes, image quality and orientation.

Follow this link to the Calendar Photo Gallery:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/index.php?cat=1687

2010 North Carolina Woodworker Calendar Contest
For the 2010 North Carolina Woodworker calendar we will be going back to the one picture per month format. That means there will be twelve winners in the following categories plus a cover entry winner. This year the prizes will be in the form of gift certificates to wood working related business. As last year, we will be doing advanced calendar sales. More details will be posted at a later date.

Categories:
Turning:
Spindle Turning (grain parallel to the axis of rotation)
Face plate turning (grain perpendicular to the axis of rotation)
Pen Turning

"Flat" work
Small - jewelry boxes, small table, stands, etc.
Chairs/Rockers
Large - hutch, table, dresser, china cabinet, etc.
Built-ins - cabinets, wall units, entertainment center , etc.

Artistic
Scroll saw
Carving
Musical Instruments
Band saw boxes

Other - Items that do not fit into any of the other categories (toys, jigs, hand made wood working tools, etc).

Cover

Schedule:
The contest schedule is:
Entry submissions start August 5th
Entry submission ends August 23rd
Voting will start on August 29th
Voting will end on September 9th

Submissions:
Please remember that this is primarily a Photo Contest, therefore, only photos that can be made to fit within the size and resolution requirements will be accepted.
Also remember the contest reflects your wood working and photo skills.

During this period of entry submissions, it may be found that certain pictures do not work at all. If the picture does not work, the submitter will be notified and given a chance to make the proper corrections. But the period will be short. Additionally, if there are not enough individual submissions in a category to have a meaningful vote, then some categories may be combined. This decision will be made by the BoD on the basis of what we think is best for the calendar.

Submission Rules:
All pictures must be submitted with a description that is suitable for inclusion in the calendar.
You can not submit an entry that has won in a previous calendar contest.
Each picture must be capable of being re-sized and/or cropped into a picture that is 8 1/4" high and 11.5" wide and maintain at least a resolution of 200 dpi but 300 dpi would be considered ideal. At that size, there must be 1/2" border that could be trimmed off without cutting off any of the project image.
Do not lower the resolution of your images, please submit them at the highest resolution that you can.
Do not upconvert your pictures resolution.
You may submit as many pictures as you want in as many categories as you wish. However, after voting has ended, if you have won more than 1 prize, only one prize will be awarded, in one category, and only that picture will be published. You will receive the prize for the highest level prize you have won. But the BoD members who have NOT entered the contest will decide which winning pictures are shown in which categories.
The staff reserves the right to move entries into what they feel is the proper category
The staff reserves the right to return any pictures that do not meet the size and quality requirements or deem inappropriate for our calendar.
COVER SUBMISSIONS - The entries will be the same as other years. They must cover a 9" high by 11.5" wide area at, at least 200 DPI, but 300 DPI would be better. The cover should composited so that a 1/4" border will NOT be displayed due to full bleed printing.

Voting:
After the close of the submissions, all photos will be re-reviewed to ensure they meet the qualifications.
Voting will be done by the membership.
The entry with the most votes in each category will be declared the winner.
NO member may vote for their own entry.

striker

New User
Stephen
Scott

Maybe you can explain what type of information would be appropriate in the text portion of the submittal and also approximate word count.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stephen, there is no formal requirements for the text.

Basically we are looking for a couple sentences telling what kind of wood and finish you used. If you know who the style add it. If you know the designer please include the designer's name. For example:

"The chair made in the missionary style and was designed by Dave Jones. It was made out of quarter sawn white oak with walnut and cherry trim. It was finished with multiple coats of clear Australian Oil."

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
One thing Scott has not mentioned is that there will be $ prizes for the winning entries! We will be giving out Gift cards to some of our supporting businesses to the winners of the 12 monthly selections and 1 for the cover. I'll let Scott explain in detail.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Correct me if I am wrong but last year the pictures had to be in a certain picture format - is that also true for this one as well

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Phillip, that will remain true for the current contest. The rules should closely comply with the picture sizes from last year.

Rob

New User
Rob
I submitted a couple, I don't know if they meet the size restrictions, when it comes to pictures, etc, I'm pretty lousy at it. I just take them and post them.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Is it just me or is the timeline kinda short for submissions? I guess I won't be submitting my secretary this year. :no:

Mike

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes the submission window is a little shorter (one week) then last year. The reason for this is we have several public events planned to October and we are hoping to have them available for sale at these events.

All is not lost.....Any WIP that you can't finish in time can be entered next year. :wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
When submitting photos there are a couple things to remember.

- Since the calendar pages are wider then they are tall, landscape format is what you need to use.

- Ideal picture dimensions are 2300 x 1725 or 2300 x 1800.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:icon_scra:icon_scra Scott please don't :slap: put I clicked on the link in your first thread and I cannot figure out how to enter a photo

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phillip, I know absolutely nothing about software, but I seemed to stumble on how to do this.

Go to the link in the first post

Click on catagory you want

The next screen shows the 2009 entry and any new 2010 entries - above that and to the right find upload photos

click on upload photos, I think you might be able to take it from there. Good Luck phil

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Phillip, don't feel bad, I can't figure out how to post from photo gallery. Glad I'm a better woodworker than computer guy.
Robb

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I agree its confusing to use the Gallery, imagine how confusing it was setting it up :BangHead:

I did set it up, such that you can only upload photos in the Albums named "type_of_projcet - 2010 Calendar Contest". The Main Heading and Classes of projects are also albums, but no one can post photos to those (if you try, you will get a nice error message and asked to try again).

It was done to sort of make it look organized.....

Hope that helps clear up 0.0001% of the confusion :)

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think the software is resizing the pictures to a smaller size.

My picture is 3648 x 2736 but the contest gallery makes it 1024 x 768 which is too small according to the rules.

The original is in my gallery and is the correct size.

Can you check to see if the resize option can be turned off for these contest folders?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Looking into it.

Repeat after me "I love photopost, I love photopost"..... :BangHead:

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors