Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate71

New User
Evans
My name is Evans Harris and I have been around for a few months lurking in the background. I originally signed up for the site to help me get rid of some tools for a lady as part of an estate sale. I didn't put any tools on here(just used CL) but I did find that I spend a fair amount of time on the site. It is amazing what one can learn from a bunch of friendly people who are willing to help others.

To those who put so much effort in getting this site going and keeping it going, thank you for your vision and hard work! To those of you who willingly share your time and personal resources to help others learn or get thru a project, you are certainly a big reason people come to this site.

I live "out in the country" near Durham, NC in the same house that my wife, Trudy, and I bought when we got married. My son, Brian, and daughter, Jordan, are out of college(both ECU pirates like me!!) and on their own. Once they got thru college, I realized where all my money was going so I could decide to have more money or more time. I decided I wanted more time so I retired from a long career in IT(mostly managment) to do whatever I wanted.

I spend a lot of time trying to master the stock market. It is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. It is mostly a mental exercise so I find doing wood working, landscaping, remodeling, etc to be a great escape where I can just focus on doing things with my hands. My modest shop is in my garage so I drag out the table saw, router, etc to do a project then have to clean it all up so Trudy can park her car in it. I've built cabinets, furniture, closed in a screen porch, etc - jack of all trades and master of none.

My next projects are house related. I'm getting ready to put in a new laminate floor in the kitchen and paint the cabinets....again. I'm really seriously considering buying a Fuji HVLP since I never liked the results I got with a paint brush last time. Afterwards, I'm off to tiling the bathrooms. My kids keep me busy at their homes with projects they want help on - I'm just glad they still want me around.

Anyway, I'm gald I found the site and really appreciate the posts because I really enjoy learning from you folks. Hopefully, I'll have something to add.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Welcome Evans. We don't need to tell you what a great site this is since, obviously, you know that already. Post often, ask questions, give advice, and post pics of your work.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Evans, great to have you join. Don't forget to post some pics of your projects - we like everything. DIY projects, furniture projects, failed projects, it's all good.

As for having to constantly clean up, that's still the case with a dedicated shop....

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site. Evans!!!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

Hey. What you describe is what retirement is all about.:gar-La;:gar-La;

I have four daughters, LOML and 30 year house. They keep me in very busy and most of time rob my tool budget!!!:elvis:

But...........Its all in fun and these great bunch of guys and gals have saved me lots of time, frustration and needless expense time and time again.

Jump in and share your questions, pics of your projects and post often!

Welcome

Wayne

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome to the fray, Evans. We're glad you decided to join our merry band. Did anyone mention we like pics around here?:gar-La;

Enjoy the site and more importantly, the friendships made here...

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Greetings! I'm glad you shared your story. You made me think about the old Red Green Handyman Corner slogan...

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Good luck with that flooring and cabinet painting!

Jim

M

McRabbet

Welcome to our virtual dustpile, Evans! Glad to have another retiree join the ranks -- but don't be bashful and join in the fun we have around here -- good tips galore, lots of creative people and yes, we love pictures -- you have an unlimited Photo Gallery available for your use, so learn to upload and post them! Happy that you've joined us...

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Evans. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap That was one great introduction. :icon_thum Feel free to post as much as you want. Looking forward to your input and seeing some of your work. :eek:ccasion1

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Hi Evans, Welcome to the site! Keep us informed on how your projects are coming along! Also, we like photos! Hope the projects go well!!! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS