Interest - Maloof Rocker Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, I said I was shut down for a while, but I might open the doors for students for one class this year. It will probably need to be the every other weekend format with homework as we've done in the past. I have a few projects that I need to get done, but may be able to sqeeze in a class.

Class Size: 4 (I'm going to require all 4 slots to be filled)
Class Time: Saturday/Sunday from 8am-6pm both days (6 days total over the course of 3 weekends)
Class Dates: TBD
Class Location: Hickory
Material required - 70 bdft 8/4 stock (walnut, mahogany preferred and others acceptable upon my approval) Template material will be provided
Tools required - TBA
Class Cost - $750
Boarding at my house/shop can be available for Friday and Saturday nights for 2 individuals for an additional fee. I can board 3 if you don't mind nights on a couch.

Please post if you'd be interested. Timing would probably be early summer. There are lots of guys and gals on the board that have taken classes from me. I think they will tell you it is well worth it. :)

Thanks,

John

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Very interested (as you know). Now that I have more details on the time it takes, let me see what I can do with the family.

When would you need to know by?

woodguy1975

New User
John
We'd need to firm up the dates about a month before day 1 of the class so you guys would have time to prep the materials.

Actually the class can be finished in 5 days. The 6th day is basically a bonus work day... just an FYI on the time required.

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Please post if you'd be interested. Timing would probably be early summer. There are lots of guys and gals on the board that have taken classes from me. I think they will tell you it is well worth it. :)

Thanks,

John[/quote]

I testify affirmative!!!!!!!!! I should finish the woodworking on my maple rocker this weekend. John, hope you're comming to see it. I was with another student over the weekend and he was cutting out his second rocker. GREAT TEACHER!!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap You'll be lucky to be one of the four.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm very interested:thumbs_up:wtongue:As far as I know, I only have 2 consecutive weekends that are taken. All I have to do, I hope is tell my grandaughter what the schedule is and she'll make her arrangements around the class schedule. She is bringing her 18 month old brother so of course they first priority.:wwink:

woodguy1975

New User
John
I'm very interested:thumbs_up:wtongue:As far as I know, I only have 2 consecutive weekends that are taken. All I have to do, I hope is tell my grandaughter what the schedule is and she'll make her arrangements around the class schedule. She is bringing her 18 month old brother so of course they first priority.:wwink:

We can build the schedule to suite the students and the instructor once we have a firm 4-5 folks we'll start the timing discussion and make it work for everyone.

Be happy to have have you in my shop again Steve. :)

woodguy1975

New User
John

Thanks,

John

I testify affirmative!!!!!!!!! I should finish the woodworking on my maple rocker this weekend. John, hope you're comming to see it. I was with another student over the weekend and he was cutting out his second rocker. GREAT TEACHER!!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap You'll be lucky to be one of the four.[/quote]

Jerry,

I can't wait to see your rocker!!! It looks like me and the family are on for Biltmore on Saturday. :D

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
John

What tools would I need to have to make that happen (in the class)? My (beautiful) wife has given me the yellow light ... but wants to know what tools.

Also, would you supply the wood or would we bring it?

Shamrock

New User
Michael
John,
Count me in as well ! I was just telling the wife how I was going to ask one of the members who builds the Maloof rockers to tutor me and low and behold I see this post! Thanks very much!!!!! : )

Hey Jeremy- mabye a carpool from the Charlotte area for the class to save gas?

Mike Mckee

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: clamps! clamps! -why do I never have enough clamps!

woodguy1975

New User
John
John

What tools would I need to have to make that happen (in the class)? My (beautiful) wife has given me the yellow light ... but wants to know what tools.

Also, would you supply the wood or would we bring it?

Jeremy,

You are going to need about 70 bdft of 8/4 lumber at least 7" wide and a few tools. Nicholson 49 rasp, router, angle grinder with sanding disk, saw rasp, pencil, big eraser, a carving gouge, mallet, 48" straight edge, a few bench chisels, and a specific router bit set from Woodline.

I have everything you'll need in the shop, but when you are doing your homework you'll need a few things of your own. On spindle day everyone has to have their own tools. Start getting in shape now for that day. :)

Thanks,

John

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Jeremy, I have an extra eraser you can borrow/have, if that ends up being the deal breaker for your wife to go 'green'. I'm here for you, man!

...if I had the time, I would be there! Someday, I'm going to kick myself for missing this opportunity....glad you're back, John...

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Good, so the eraser is accounted for ... thanks Chris! :gar-La;

John - It might be a good idea to propose some dates because people might need at least that structure (maybe a couple options) to plan around. I really want to do this ... so I hope a class can fill up and the timing will work well with my family life.

woodguy1975

New User
John
We can be fairly flexible with the schedule. I do have a bed I want to get mostly finished before we fire up completely. For weekends I think we'll not quit stick to the pure every other weekend due to my schedule.

We'll get firmer plans going soon, but we are still a couple short of the number we need to really do that. I was hoping to get good interest from 5-6 folks and then form a schedule.

Anyone else interested.... Don't worry about the schedule as we will work it out for everyone that we can. :) We'll probably get started in mid June.

Thanks,

John

woodguy1975

New User
John
Anyone else interested? We are going to start talking dates soon, but are still short of the headcount I was looking to have to run the class.

Thanks,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS