Interest in a Workbench Class???

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I've had an official inquiry into having a workbench class and have heard of some other interest in having one from other folks. I just want to get a feel if this would be a class folks would want to do. So, who is up to do a workbench class? A prerequisite would be hand cut dovetail joinery though. There will be plenty of activities going on during the bench class and probably not time to learn to cut dovetails by hand during the class. I'll run a joinery workshop before the bench class to get everyone up to par.

The benches (Insomniac and I) created cost around $400 in lumber and then whatever you want to spend on vise hardware. You would need to make the decision on vise hardware before the class so we know what type of work we will have to do before apron/top assembly. I think a good goal would be to have you go home with a bench ready for vise hardware and use.

I'll figure have to figure out how many days the class will run. Right now I think 4 days should do it. Two full weekends. The first weekend will be the base design, construction and glueup. That way the completed base stays in your shop and you come back the second weekend to do the top glueup,flattening and apron jointery. Guys who want to work in more complicated peices like tail vises and such may have a little work to do in their own shops to wrap that up, but you will leave from the class with a base and top. :) The advantage I can offer besides having built 3 previous benches is the tools I have The combo of machines I have gives me the ability to make a perfectly flat top which is a criticial compononent of any bench.

So, who would be interested in a course like this? Class cost will probably be $300 to cover the wear and tear and abrasives for the drum sander since these are big peices that will require a lot of machining. (Timing will probably be around June)

Thanks,

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Marty!!!! You'll be very happy taking John's classe's he's a great teacher, and his shop is to die for. Just look out for WG disease, it's highly contagious at ground zero. :lol:
Dave:)

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Geeze John, why cant you live closer. Im on the verge of starting my bench soon and would love some instruction on all of those hand-cut dovetails you do. I can kick out a million jig dovetails,,but I have been wanting to do some hand work lately. I sure would like to come up there and take a class or two, maybe you could make a short video. Shoot I would throw some green backs your way for it. good luck on the classes, be blessed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS