Intarsia 101 Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Thia photo shows one of the tricks to use when working with small pieces. If I have lots of pieces that have to be precisely placed together it is best to arrange them on the pattern as they are shaped and sanded and glue them together to form a larger unit. I start by taping clear plastic wrap over my tracing pattern and glue one piece over the corresponding section of the pattern.Apply white glue to the bottom edge of the next piece and place on the pattern. Do this until all the pieces of the unit are glued together within the lines of the pattern.

intarsiatutorialtipsandtricks001.jpg

This next photo shows the completed section.

intarsiatutorialtipsandtricks003.jpg

This next photo shows a simple zero clearance jig that I use on the bed of my saw to cut small pieces. Simply a piece of 1/4" plywood run thru to the center of the jig. As the hole becomes wallowed out I just make a new cut and am good to go again.

intarsiatutorialtipsandtricks006.jpg

One of the most important tools used to create intarsia is the moto tool. I use it for shaping, sanding and carving. Mine is equipped with a 36" flex shaft which makes it easy to work into tight areas.I made this custom foot switch I use to control my moto tool .Why buy it when you can make it!!

intarsiatutorialtipsandtricks007.jpg

The next photo shows a jig that I made to help when I resaw my stock. It is self adjusting and spring loaded and helps to keep the stock tight to the fence. Helps to make nice uniform cuts.

intarsiatutorialtipsandtricks008.jpg

Well so far I have cut ,sanded shaped and fit over 150 pieces from 13 different woods to create this intarsia. I still have more shaping and a few more pieces to cut and then go thru and replace a few pieces that don't fit quite right. Once that is done I will discuss how to glue it all to the backboard and apply the finish.

intarsiatutorialtipsandtricks010.jpg

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That's awesome! I can't imagine having the patience to get through something like that.

Keep'em coming!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very cool and very interesting. I really like the Tulipwood you used for the sky, the grain/figure orientation is just perfect.

Dave:)

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Mike,

This is great. Although I don't do any intarsia, I've learned a lot that will come in handy for some of the things that I do. I really appreciate your resourcefulness with the shop made "gizmos." I'm also in the "Why buy it if you can make it" school!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Keep it coming.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS