Inexpensive Way to Clean Pitch From Saw Blades and Other Cutting Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawdust Denny

New User
Denny
I learned this trick from a seasoned woodworker over thirty years ago and it is much less expensive than using the spray blade cleaners. This can be used for saw blades, router and shaper bits, etc. Make sure you remove the bearing from routing bits before cleaning.

Combine a solution of three parts water and one part ammonia in a container, preferably with a lid due to the ammonia fumes. The amount of solution will depend on the size of your container. You just need enough to cover the blade or bits. If there is a lot of build up you may want to let them soak over night. After soaking you can almost wipe them clean with a rag but I generally brush around the carbide teeth with an old tooth brush to get in the crevasses. The solution can also be used more than once.

I have found this a very effective way to clean my blades and bits.

Sawdust Denny

New User
Denny
Thanks for the feedback, I have a bottle of Simple Green and will give it a try. Do you use it full strength or dilute?

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks for the feedback, I have a bottle of Simple Green and will give it a try. Do you use it full strength or dilute?

I use it full strength. It only takes a couple minutes. I do very light scrubbing with a brass brush but a toothbrush is probably sufficient. Then rinse with water, dry well and put some wd-40 on them.

Same thing with the router bearings, I don't think it would be good to soak them in any water based solution really...
Salem

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Nice, that tip does focus on inexpensive too!

I am a known fan of smelly solutions....

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have been using "Simple Green" for a while now and it works great too.
+1. I dilute it by 50%, primarily because it causes less waste and I can filter out the crud more easily. I bought an oil pan from Harbor Freight for $1 to soak the blades in, usually 30 minutes and it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS