I'm calling it a "Storpedo" w/many pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
As you all know I bought a Hobie Cat this Spring and this Summer have been fixing it up and sailing it. I trailer it to the river, and up until now have had to throw the sails, boom, and other miscellaneous parts into the back of the van. I wanted a trailer box but the commercially available ones were too expensive.

I purchased a 14' length of large, 12" diameter, pvc sewer pipe to make a trailer box. Since it was long and already looked a little like a torpedo, I decided to complete the illusion by making a nose cone out of MDF, painting it gray, and stenciling it. I'm calling it a "Storpedo" - a storage torpedo.

Hauling a heavy length of pvc home:

PA040002.JPG

Cut in half with end caps added:

PA090005.JPG

Hinges added to one side:

PA090009.JPG

Nose cone/warhead made from laminated MDF turned on my lathe:

PA110008.JPG

Close-up of nose cone/warhead:

PA110007.JPG

Completed* Storpedo mounted on my Hobie trailer. I painted it gray, installed handles and latches, and added some stenciling:

*Until I decide if and how to add fins and propeller. :lol::lol::lol:

PA140001.JPG

Close-up pictures of the stenciling:

PA140019.JPG

PA140006.JPG

"Make ready, tubes 1 & 2" . . . "Open outer doors" . . . . "Fire one, fire two" :-D:-D:-D

MikeH

New User
Mike
That is totally kewl!!!!!! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum I'll bet you get more than few looks pulling that down the road. I'll be curious to see if you get the attention of the police with it looking so much like a torpedo. Let us know.

lottathought

New User
Michael
[MOUSE]Of Course you know what the person in the car next to yours in thinking[/MOUSE]

[PIE]Da** military budget cuts!!![/PIE]

childe

New User
Chris
8-O8-O8-O8-O8-O8-O I can see the headlines now!

MAN ARRESTED FOR IMPERSONATIING A SUBMARINE CAPTAIN]

Chris

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Nice job Alan, even if it is a little over the edge. I hope we don't reda about you getting pulled over for carrying a weapon of mass destruction. Because being on the front page once should be enough :rolf:.

Jimmy:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Alan, that is one cool idea you had there. I too hope that the authorities don't get the wrong idea.

Had you seen anything like this before. I know nothing about sailing or the boat that you have, but it seems that this would be very marketable if there are others like you looking for a simialr solution. I'm sold on the name!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Striking Alan :lol:
Now, You can look forward to getting to know the Homeland Security folks :rolf:

With great respect,
Roger

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can see one of those Homeland Security officers with his Barney Badge & bullet stopping you now. Hope you know the local constable very well. He may have to vouch for your character (or lack thereof). I think it looks cool anyhow. I'd almost post your bail if you got stopped! :eusa_clap

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I'd like to know how you cut a 12' pipe so perfectly straight down the center?

It is far from perfect. I followed a chalk line with a PC jigsaw. I was going to use a circular saw, but didn't have a long enough board to use as a straight edge guide.

And did you turn the cone or smooth it with a side grinder?

I laminated up some MDF "doughnuts" to get it close, then turned it on my lathe. Since the diameter of the Storpedo is larger than the capacity of my lathe I had to glue on two additional rings and shape fare those to the turned section with my disc sander and sand paper.

Will you tow two trailers? or will this sit on the trailer with the boat?

It sits on the trailer between the two hulls of my Hobie catamaran. I should have take a pic today after loading the Hobie back on the trailer.

Did you add a flange around the edge to keep water out? Looks like a lip there.

Yup, got some pvc lattice at Lowes and glued and screwed it in place. It is just to keep rain and road spray from seeping in the joint between the halves.

Lettering looks fantastic!

I first painted the lettering area light gray. I then applied stick-on vinyl letters, a homemade nuclear symbol and Hobie "H", painted over everything with dark gray, then peeled off the vinyl letters and symbols revealing the light colored lettering. It worked pretty well, better than stencils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors