I just wanted to buy a drill press...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonEve

New User
Don
Okay! I realize I'm always asking for advice, but I'm getting pretty frustrated. I'm trying to buy a drill press. You would think it an easy task! But no, not for me!! :no:

I left the house this morning and told my wife, "I'm off to buy my drill press. I'll soon be able to drill my own pen blanks and will live happily ever after or at least until I need a new tool!" :icon_thum

First stop Harbor Freight. I found what I wanted. A floor drill press for less than $200.00 after coupon. (This is where it gets good.) I know I can't assemble the drill press because of my elbow. I have a strained (hurts) tendon and can place very minimal torque or stress on it. I ask whether HF offers an assembly service I might purchase to do the assembly for me. No they don't.

Next stop, Home Depot. Two Ryboi bench drill presses are available as is one Rigid floor drill press. The Rigid is $300.00 and much more drill press than I need. After waiting several minutes for some sales assistance and no HD employee in sight, I walk to the service counter and requested some help. The young lady at the counter assured me she would call someone to assist me.

I walk back to the power tool section and in a few minutes, someone arrives. I ask a simple question. What is the spindle travel for these two Ryobi bench drill presses? (I'm turning pen blanks and that's a neat thing to know.) Now understand, a month ago I would not know what "spindle travel" was from a travel voucher. But, I'm not selling drill presses either. "Spindle travel?" :dontknow: "Yeah, I said, That's how deep a hole will it drill. (I'm beginning to feel pretty smart!!) He looks on the tool tags and on the boxes, (I already did that..no info) and couldn't find the specs. He then turns the handle on each and says, "Looks like maybe two inches." :confused_
I thanked him for his time.

Next, Lowe's. Three bench drill presses here. :eusa_danc Things are looking good!! The Delta 12" model has a spindle travel of 2 3/8". Says so right on the box. You betcha! :icon_chee The Hitachi and (don't remember the other brand) models, show no indication of spindle travel anywhere. About this time a sales person shows up. Can I help you sir? Well, yeah. What is the spindle...Uh, how deep does this Hitachi drill press drill?

However, assigning a "newcomer" to the power tool department, may not be a well thought out idea. (I'm getting off topic here.) My new friend begins to read the boxes and labels and tags, and I don't know what all, and says I don't know. (I knew he would say that, because I already looked and, that's right, that un-necassary info is not included on the specs provided. I guess maybe the folks in China think we Americans are sooo wise!). Suddenly, my new friend says. That one is 12" (the Delta) this one is 10" (Hitachi) so it must be smaller! :elvis:
Ya seen the Aflack duck on TV???

Next stop, Sears. :cool: Surely. I walk over to the two bench type drill presses and begin to check them out. A polite young man comes over and asks if he can help. "Why yes, thank you." ( It always pays to be polite.)

I ask how deep..(I wasn't gonna go there) do these drill presses drill? :tinysmile_tongue_t:
After looking at the drill presses, (I almost think he expected them to tell him) he said "Just a minute Sir. I'll check the specs." He leaves. Meanwhile, I notice a catalog at the end of the aisle and locate the two drill presses. One had a spindle travel of 2 3/8". The other model had a spindle travel of "NA". (I'm working on it.) The young man comes back and tells me he couldn't find the specs. Okay, I said. (It always pays to be polite) I then asked what I thought was a perfectly credible question. :tinysmile_cry_t: "How do you adjust the speeds on this particular model (12")? "That's a good question." he said. While he attempts to figure out how to adjust the speeds, it occurs to me. I must be on Candid Camera! Sure. That explains everything!! I look around, very "cool", like I don't know what's going on. I'm gonna be on TV I'm thinking. :wink_smil

My young man mumbles something about how it should be easy to do...

After several painful minutes, it was probably no more than one, but it seemed so long, I asked him if Sears had an assembly service, as I would not be able to it. He told me it really wasn't complicated and that no one else had ever requested help. :crossedlips:

As I drove home, I'm talking aloud to myself. "What just happened?" I said, well it seems you didn't buy your drill press. Sometimes I talk too much. I agreed.

So, I'm at home. I want a drill press. I NEED a drill press!! I know! I'll call Harbor Freight and speak to the manager. I'll tell him I want to buy a floor drill press from him. Could he recommend someone who could help with the assembly. I'LL PAY!!!! Why didn't I think of this before. :widea:

"Hello, may I speak to the manager please. Yes, I'll hold." This is gonna be so great. I'm buying me a drill press. My own drill press!! "Yes sir, I would like to purchase a floor drill press from your store. However, I'm not able to assemble it because of an injured elbow. Could you recommend someone who could assemble it for me? Yes, I realize you do not offer that service... Yes, please ask your employees if anyone would like to earn some extra money on their own time. That would be nice. (You should always be polite) :roll:

He comes back on the phone, "Sorry sir. I can't help you." "Well, thanks for asking." (You should always be polite):BangHead:

Don

Last edited by a moderator:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Don, I live in Salisbury and would be willing to help you with your assembly. I am off tomorrow, so if you need help, go to HF or wherever, buy the one you want and PM me tonight. I need to go to Woodcraft in Matthews anyway. I am sure that some folks closer than me would help also, but my offer is a serious offer.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would offer to assemble your drill press, but you mentioned Horrible Fright and then I would be indirectly supporting them. I'd rather they quietly go out of business along with the other chinese importers.

However, if you can't get anybody else I would be happy to help a brother in sawdust since you are injured and all.

But if I remember correctly and if it hasn't been sold Tom has a nice Rockwell drill press for $85 and it was made right here in the good ole US of A.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Don. Go get the HF press and give me a call. I'll be glad to give you a hand! Might even see what Joe (Badabing) is doing. He's probably less than 1mi from you!

DonEve

New User
Don
Ed,

You got yourself a deal! Looks like it won't be til next weekend now. Is that good for you? As the crow flies, Joe lives about 1/2 mile, maybe.

Don

nelsone

New User
Ed
Next weekend probably won't work. I have two out of town events I want to attend in opposite directions! So if one doesn't work out I'll be doing the other! A weekday evening might work though.

If the NCWW Pony Express is running from Raleigh to Charlotte, I'd sure commend you take a look at that DP Tom has listed! Although it's an older machine, it's likely a lot better machine than the HF.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The other day I was in Lowe's and after your question about the spindle travel on the bench top DP, I thought I would take a look to see. On all the display models nothing was mentioned about how deep of a hole it will drill. That is pretty important information IMO. Now I was able to take a tape measure, extend the quill and measure the travel myself. But how hard would it be to include that information on the signage. I think that is more important than if it is 10" or 12" from center to post.

I'm sorry about your rough day. I think that you'll find more than ample help among the members here to get you straight.
Dave:)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Dave,

Drills are rated by the size board they can drill to the center of.

So a 10" drill is 5" from post to center of chuck.

Very misleading IMO.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Don,
I'm gonna be in Sanford next weekend. I think I can grab the drill press from Tom if you'd like. (Assuming Joel's first birthday party doesn't fill our car too much ;-))

Just let me know.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,

Drills are rated by the size board they can drill to the center of.

So a 10" drill is 5" from post to center of chuck.

Very misleading IMO.

Very true, and you never now how deep that hole can go either :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Dave:)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Don, you raised a thought in my oft napping cranium.....

I noticed you didn't try the woodworking retail stores (woodcraft, klingspor, woodworkers supply, etc.).

You have very valid questions and real needs. The kind that a big box is not going to normally be able to help you with.

Many times I'll wind up at woodworkers supply after pulling my hair out. For the most part, people in those stores are woodworkers who will know what spindle travel is. A few times, the sales fellow even talked me out of buying things "I thought I needed". (rest assured I bought other things :)

Given the time and $$ you spent going from big box to big box, a few extra bucks at a woodworking store might have been a happier trip for you.

In such an "isolating" era, I know I forget that people are still people. We help each other out and share our time and skills. Thats not typically a mantra of a big box retailer, but can be found on this here site!

Good luck!

Jim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think part of the problem with the Big Box stores is their roots. Even HF can trace its roots back to contractors' sales. As a rule, most contractors & folks in the building industry, like myself, pretty much know what they need or want in a tool. Therefore, customer assistance in most of these stores is pretty much helping you get it in the car (a bag boy with a forklift). As a builder, I was somewhat resentful when the Big Boxes started selling appliances, barbecue grills, lamps, & such but it all has to do with cash flow & getting the customers in the doors (there are more homeowners than contractors, after all). In the end, the low prices you see in these stores is there for a reason. They don't take the time to train someone to know these things because they usually have a high turnover not only in personnel but in product brands, hence the term 'tool du jour'.
The only training I have seen with any degree of consistency in the Big Box stores is:
1. The location of a particular item.
2. How to barricade an aisle I want to go down so they can use the lift to get something out of overhead storage.
Sorry for the rant, guys, but you got me started & the coffee just kicked in....

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I wish your venture had a happier ending. And indeed I bet it will, just not the parts you've written about so far!
I also wish this sort of venture was the exception but I think it is becoming more and more the rule.
Take heed to the best advise I saw in the posts above. Visit this site often and ask good questions. There is a world of advice with ages of experience to back it up available right here on this site.
If closer I'd be more than happy to help you. As for the 'temporarily less than able - ie your elbow' been there done that. After my heart attack I had all the strength and stamina of a soggy spinach leaf. Didn't effect my mind and my 'want to'. Argh, finally got better :)
Sounds like some locals are rallying to you aid. What a great community we are fortunate to be a part of~

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Don, what inpressed me the most about your adventure is that you where polite through the whole thing and that is what I love about the people on this site - These men and women will help in anyway they can and you don't see that much anymore in this world - you people ROCK you give advice - pick up wood,tools etc for other members - help with rebuilding burned down shops - assembling tools - you are all the greatest

DonEve

New User
Don
Andrew,

Thanks for your comments. You are certainly correct about everyone on this site being so helpful. Actually, when I posted my diatribe, I intended it to be more humorous then complaining. Everyone who has visited these big box stores has experienced what I did on Saturday. What got me laughing at myself is that every past experience happened all over again in the space of two hours and four different stores were involved.

There was a time, and I'm dating myself here, when customer service was paramont. Now it seems the approach by so many sales associates is "how little can I get by with". But, times they are a'changing. Have you noticed how many businesses are requesting customer feed back surveys? Even my own company has intiated that process. The first time in over 30 years. The calvary is coming!

My temporary health issue got me to thinking though. Surely, I'm not the first to need assistance with something as simple as tool assembly. And, what about transporting your larger, heavier purchases home. What a great opportunity for an individual, maybe retired, to earn a little additional income. :widea: Start up a little business. Print up some business cards and visit the HF's or the Sears and make your services available on an outside contractor basis.

The store passes your business card to a customer needing assistance and the customer pays for the service. The HF's are not even involved.

I'm probably over simplfying it, but there is an opportunity for an enterprising person. :eusa_clap

Don

Rob

New User
Rob
My dad did that for Lowe's as a retirement job a while back. But after they started treating him like a moron, he gave it up.

RayH

New User
Ray
A great idea, but where's the big-box motivation to encourage (or even allow -- don't forget liability) something like this? What does it matter to the bottom line?:eusa_naug

On the other hand, such referrals already exist at some of the other places. The local Woodcraft has always had a suggestion when I needed something delivered, assembled, or such. They don't advertise it, probably don't make a buck on it, but it keeps me coming back to them.

Just my .02,
RayH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS