I got the watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
and it came with a Festool Rotex 150 sander! It's a lot of $$$, but no one else is making anything like it. Had a PC 7424 for a week and had to return it because the vibration. Actually couldn't hold it for more than 2 minutes without resting my left arm. Tried a 6" palm sander earlier but it took 2 hands as well. Used it for over an hour yesterday and could have kept on going.
And yes, it's all everyone says it is. With 60 grit paper in Rotex mode it cuts down as fast as my belt sander without the usual excitement!
No pix...they're on the net.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
and it came with a Festool Rotex 150 sander! It's a lot of $$$, but no one else is making anything like it. Had a PC 7424 for a week and had to return it because the vibration. Actually couldn't hold it for more than 2 minutes without resting my left arm. Tried a 6" palm sander earlier but it took 2 hands as well. Used it for over an hour yesterday and could have kept on going.
And yes, it's all everyone says it is. With 60 grit paper in Rotex mode it cuts down as fast as my belt sander without the usual excitement!
No pix...they're on the net.

Congrats!!! Gloatus Maximus!!! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I don't have the $ for a Festool, but recently got a new Dynabrade air sander off Ebay. I just used it for the first time on the storage bin unit and it puts my PC ROS to shame. I really like the small size, fast orbit, and minimal vibration. I sure would like to know how the Festool and something like a Dynabrade compare. Anybody use both??

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
How is the DC on that puppy, Joe?

Sure looks like a really sweet, versatile unit!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Congrats!

Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
DC is excellent in most sanding. But it leaves tiny 'pills' when using 60 grit in Rotex mode, however the fine dust is taken up.
As a polisher (I'm deep waxing the interior woodwork) it works vey well too.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Congrats!!! Gloatus Maximus!!! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I don't have the $ for a Festool, but recently got a new Dynabrade air sander off Ebay. I just used it for the first time on the storage bin unit and it puts my PC ROS to shame. I really like the small size, fast orbit, and minimal vibration. I sure would like to know how the Festool and something like a Dynabrade compare. Anybody use both??

I used the Dynabrades for years sanding polyurethane and epoxy when overpainting aircraft. One thing you may want to note. With the DA (dual action) air sanders, it is best to start and stop them on the work for the least swirl marks as opposed to off the work for the electric ROS. The DA sanders do not have a brake on them to stop the disc from spinning unless pressure is applied (The friction of your pressure is the brake). Its a little different technique than a ROS, but they will do just as fine a job and can be much more aggressive when needed.
Another tip if you do not have an in-line oiler for the pneumatic tools. They need a drop of oil occasionally to keep the air vanes lubricated so they will move in and out and catch the air. When you first put the drop of oil in them, stick a rag over the exhaust port and run it wide open for a couple seconds to expel any excess oil before you get it near your work. This will minimize any oil that will get on the work piece and mess with your finish.
The air DA sanders also work best when slightly tilted on the work surface. They do not work well when fully flat. Basically, they are a bearing set slightly off center of the motor shaft with a counterweight to offset the vibration. If you set them flat, the eccentic bearing will cause it to buck. An advantage to this design is that you can change disk sizes from 4 to 5 to 6" whike keeping the same air motor. However you must also get the correct counterweight for the size you are changing to. Dynabrade also has the vacuum shrouds to adapt to the different disk sizes.

JMTCW

Go

Rescue U

New User
DOM
Great Score Bladeburner,

I have the little brother RO125, and it is great. I went with it because of the lighter weight and newer features at the time, however now the RO150 has the same and then some, so I will probably end up buying the big guy as well. The only problem is that I will probably end up with the complimentary orbital palm sander also. You know, so that I only need one brand of sand paper and all. Thats the excuse I give the LOML, and I'm sticking with it.:lol:

Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors