I’m not feeling woodworky...

EXKid

New User
Mark
...now that the summer is kicking in. Last year, i devoted the summer to building TS jigs and other fixtures that would help during the real project time for me, which is fall/winter. I’m getting less interested as the humidity climbs. Anyone else take the summer off, so to speak?

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Buy yourself a mini-split unit for the shop. They are a worthy investment and not near as expensive as you might think.

EXKid

New User
Mark
I have a window unit, and that helped last year, but i think it’s more of all the other stuff. Kids activities and going to the pool, house maintenance.... this year for the first time, I’m working from home and the only place i can do that without family distraction is in the garage, where the shop is. I don’t have much problem keeping to my job, but it makes leisure time less appealing because I spend so much time in there already. That plus my summer time lull and I’m not really feeling it.

This summer however I will put on-board dust collection on my power tools. I’ve made my mind up about that.

EXKid

New User
Mark
Also, for some reason this time of year, my unfinished projects queue empties. Not consciously, but perhaps instinctively.

My dad, who is one of the most talented woodworkers I know, takes the summer off too. He likes to fish and shoot sporting clays instead of being stuck in the shop. He lives in upper Michigan, where the winter is good motivation for shop time.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I am going to try splitting time. I have a scrollsaw project I need to finish ( indoors) before the 1st.. I also have a cabinet I want to build out in the shop. I’m thinking I will finish the scrollsaw project when it’s too hot. Work on the cabinet before it gets too hot. Crunch time will be soon.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I move when inspiration strikes. I am not usually under any deadline to complete a project, except my self-imposed work ethic.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
My woodworking activities slow substantially during these 90 plus degree dog days of summer. My garage shop is not insulated (except the garage doors). I guess I don't understand the logic behind not insulating the walls but yet insulating the door. Because of the lack of insulation, I don't think I could afford to run a mini system or a window unit A.C. so most of my projects get postponed until the fall, winter or spring.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
My woodworking activities slow substantially during these 90 plus degree dog days of summer. My garage shop is not insulated (except the garage doors). I guess I don't understand the logic behind not insulating the walls but yet insulating the door. Because of the lack of insulation, I don't think I could afford to run a mini system or a window unit A.C. so most of my projects get postponed until the fall, winter or spring.

My garage has insulation in the attic, and on 2 of the 4 sides. I run a mini-split and keep the temp high when not in there, and just drop it about 30 mins to an hour before I go out to work, and it does a great job making the room comfortable. Mini-splits are very efficient, so I don't think it'll cost as much as you might think. Now if you try to keep it at 62 in there, yeah that's going to be hard. I keep mine at 75 to 80 when not in there, and then usually at 72 when I'm working and am very comfortable.

Most heat/cooling loss is thru the ceiling, so even if your walls aren't insulated, put some insulation in the attic over the garage and that'll probably be sufficient to make it worthwhile investment to put a mini-split in and be able to work year round.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's fine to take a break from woodworking anytime. Lots of other things to do and interests besides woodworking 24/7/365!

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I spent an intense amount of time in the shop after work leading up to a xmas show. I havent touched much of anything since then... I have to take it in spurts and share my time among family and other hobbies.

I think its my ADHD... Just have to spread my attention all over the place.... LOL

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
My "shop" is in my basement which is mostly underground on three sides. With a dehumidifier running 24/7 and a fan, it is pretty comfortable year round. I will occasionally need a heater in the winter but only on the coldest days. I generally do outdoor chores in the mornings and hit the shop in the afternoon after my lunch and nap (retirement is wonderful). Woodworking is my "go to" now that I am retired as I believe that the worst thing a person can do after retirement is nothing. You get really old really fast.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
...now that the summer is kicking in. Last year, i devoted the summer to building TS jigs and other fixtures that would help during the real project time for me, which is fall/winter. I’m getting less interested as the humidity climbs. Anyone else take the summer off, so to speak?
Not really, that's my busy time. My locals come beging for stuff. Suposed to be retired.

gsalls

New User
Gerrid
I'm in a similar situation. My shop is an attached one bay garage with no insulation (except the connecting wall) and is under direct sun most of the day. So far my only solution has been to drink lots of water and keep a sweat rag in my pocket. But I suspect I'm going to have to at least insulate the door and attic, and install some AC. It's going to be 95 here in Jacksonville today, and my shop usually seems to be a few degrees warmer than outside temp. And I'm from the north, not really built for the heat lol.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
WIsh I was close, I am replacing 3000 ac split systems and the old ones really aren't bad or that old. Split is easy to install. for typical ac 2500-300 sq ft of floor to one-ton of ac (12,000 btu's). IF typical shop is 2 - 3 ton system. If you go up to 5 ton the panel will require a 40-50 amp breaker and # 8 wire to feed the unit. A lot of electricians might tell you you need bigger wire, but as long as the unit running ( Running Load Amps (RLA)) is 40 ampor less then, #8 will work. If you want to get tricky you can get the ones that run on solar ..... you can look those up. PM me if you want more detailed info.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Built a couple of rocking chairs last week and it was "tolerable" in my shop. This week, nope, too hot for any degree of comfort. Won't do much this summer.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Earlier this month I replaced the defunct window a/c unit in my dertached 2-car shop with this one from Lowe's. The cool thing about the new window unit is that it connects up via wifi and a phone app. So, about 30 minutes before I head out to the shop I turn it on and set the desired temperature from the comfort of the house. The only insulation in the shop is the inch thick stuff under the vinyl siding, but the a/c cools the shop just fine, cycles normally and gets down to 72 from whatever pretty quickly. The shop is two story and most of the heat is upstairs anyway. As the upstairs is basically a storage area for me I normally don't bother turning on the window units up there.

Can't say whether this unit would cool as well in a single story shop.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Before I built my shop, which has a mini split, I worked in the garage with no heat or AC. I suffered as well as my equipment. I would have to constantly sand out rusted areas where perspiration would fall from me onto the cast iron work surfaces! Since retirement, I spend a whole lot of time working "on" the shop or "in" the shop. It is great to have someplace to go and something to do!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS