How to fix dye run??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cato

New User
Bob
I have a dye run on a panel of a box and trying to figure out if I can fix it.

I am using walnut, that I first sealed with a wash coat of shellac, then applied transtint orange with alcohol carrier, wiping it on.

Well, I got a drip run on one side of the box that I didn't really notice until I was putting on the finish coats of amber shellac. Crapola

I was wondering since I seal coated first with the wash coat, could I actually sand back and get the drip run out to fix that panel on the box??

Or maybe an application of dark paste wax would help even out the drip run?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Most drip runs can be carefully shaved with a razor blade and then wet sanded at 1000 or 2000 grit sand paper. Should make it disappear within the finish. You will need to buff it with a soft low speed polishing pad on a die grinder kind of set up.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Maybe a simple fix for you. Trans Tint is soluble in both alcohol and water. Since you've sealed the wood with shellac prior to applying the TT you may be good to go. Take a rag dampened with water (not alcohol or you'll wipe off the shellac too) and rub over the dye spot to even it out with the rest of the piece. You can go over the whole thing if your eye tells you it looks better. :icon_scra

Last resort: Wipe the whole thing down with a rag/alcohol and regroup. That contradicts the above, but it may save you.

Good luck

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I'd sand the run out with fine sandpaper and hope.
It may work, or you may have to refinish that side.
IME covering it will probably come back to bite you.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Carefully shave (drag) a single edged slim razor over the drip, till level. Then lightly spit sand with a high grit (1500~2000) grit wet/dry sandpaper. A steady, light touch is required, spit acts as a lubricant. Be careful else you'll botch the surrounding tone coat.

Cato

New User
Bob
Guys thanks for the responses and good suggestions.

I tried one more thing before trying alcohol, water, or sandpaper and it looks like it is going to work out okay.

Since it is walnut, I put on a coat of Briwax dark paste wax. Once the dark wax got into the pores, and I polished it up it broke up the dye run on the back panel enough that I think I can live with it.

I'll revisit it again later and see. Will post pics once I finish the inside tray and drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS